Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ohh it will present a problem alright first significant snow and a little drift up against the house. No combustion air, No heat

Shovel a path to the vent termination/ combustion air intake immediately after the first snow fall. Keep path clear, keep vent/intake clear and there will be no problem.

Customers should always be educated to keep vent clear.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

I just want to know if anyone fessed up to dropping that pool ball down the old return.

Where's the pics of the new condensing unit?

Clean looking Install-I must be blind as a bat! Were is the condensate drain off the Condensing flue?

Dont want to rag on your new Installation,But besides the snow drift on the Intake side of the flue,do not crack that window open above the Exhaust flue--- You should relocate your flues. Good Luck!

I'm not trying to throw your install under the bus so to speak, but all of those low voltage wire nuts would have been in a junction box if up to me. Besides undersized return, nice job IMO.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Originally posted by ductguy007
    Dont want to rag on your new Installation,But besides the snow drift on the Intake side of the flue,do not crack that window open above the Exhaust flue--- You should relocate your flues. Good Luck!

Why?

The installation of the Intake and Exhaust look to be at least 4' below the window. That is more than enough. Check the installation manual for HEIL, the vents are fine. The only thing to possibly be concerned about is snow level. And that is a minor concern. I am sure the homeowner is aware if snow drifts are a problem on that side of the house.

One other thing, depending on which one is exhaust, it might be a little close to the inside corner there. Could have a issue with the vent gases swirling back into the intake.

The intake and exhaust need to be moved up, at least 2 or 3 feet. Imagine you are not home and a big storm comes,furnace shuts down and home freezes. Have them come and fix that!

We can get enough snow to cover those in hours!
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

The window above the pipes is never opened....it's above the sink and there's always too much crap on it to open (as evidenced by the photo and the voluminous cobwebs and dirt). The redwood-stained wall on the right of the photo is a screened porch, so really, I don't think there's going to be too much problem of gas floating into the house, especially since when the furnace is running, it's going to be cold, presumably, and we're going to have the sliding glass door to the screened porch closed anyway.

But, yes, I was sort of planning to see how it went this winter with the pipes in that location and move them up if I need to. We can potentially get snow that high overnight, but that corner of the house doesn't tend to have a lot of drifts. We'll see, I guess.

Originally posted by mattm
    I just want to know if anyone fessed up to dropping that pool ball down the old return.
    Ha! I laughed when I saw that too. You know, we bought the house in 1996....prior to us was a family with a LOT of kids. When the ducts were cleaned out prior to the install last week, they found Legos, baseball cards from the '90 season (I already checked...none can help pay for the install ), paper, etc. We've never had them cleaned before, and I'm willing to bet no one else has either. But, yes, the ball was funny when I saw it.

Originally posted by mattm
    Where's the pics of the new condensing unit?
    Didn't get a new condensing unit for the A/C...stayed with the same 10 seer Rheem. Although he mentioned to me that when they drained (cleared?) the line from it prior to the install, there wasn't much charge left in it, and he had some concerns about the valves the installer had used, which I'm not entirely clear I understand why. The company that put it in originally had a hell of a time the first month....they had to have come here four times because it kept losing the gas....they finally fixed it with a new valve, or so my notes say, but it took a while to get it running without problems.

That'll be my spring worry.

Chris:Take A close look at that photo,it looks like the new flues are installed in a !L! shaped corner,not A straight wall. Im sure that the Heil guide says its Ok---Just like G.M says to use there 5w-30 ONLY in my new Suburban. I checked out your web- nice. You know probably better than anyone, that things are not aways Black and White in the HVAC world.
    I have alot of MXA's and MVP's under my belt. Love the 90%ers. Infilteration can be a killer -If i back a car in that corner on a cold Winter morning- go inside and take a reading.
    Also Who is to say that the Homeower wont sell in 2-3yrs and the new owner has no clue as the old single pain deteriorates -----Just A Thought------
    P.S Istill donot see were the condansate flue trap is?

Originally posted by ductguy007
    Chris:Take A close look at that photo,it looks like the new flues are installed in a !L! shaped corner,not A straight wall.
    It is in a L-shaped corner, but the right side of the L is a non-weatherproofed, screened exterior porch. Air flows freely through the screen, under the porch, through the slats, etc. Maybe I'm dense....what's the problem that you're worried about, the fumes hurting people, or the exhaust being redirected back into the furnace? The former seems next to impossible, since no one is on the screened porch when the furnace would be going anyway.

P.S Istill donot see were the condansate flue trap is?
    I'll be glad to take a photo of it for you....what am I looking for / where would it be?

No need for a pic, the trap is inherant if the drain line is going below the water surface in the condensate pump. Even if it doesnt, its an upflow positive pressure, the worst case is you blow conditioned air out the tube.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast