Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    If the hum leaks, the c-pump might get wet but the furnace is safe.

Where should the humidifier be mounted? Even if it was mounted on the plenum, would the water leak be any better?
    I have a A/S cased coil and my installer mounted the aprilaire 700 on the case. I looked at the instructions for mounting and it seem that mounting on the case is acceptable. What am I missing?

Originally posted by heetseeker
    What am I missing?
    Nothing as long as air can properly flow threw it.

It seems that the prior posts suggests the pleneum is a better location for a humidifier. Is there a good reason for this preference?

Originally posted by docholiday
    Nice, do you really suggest that water damage from another componant should be a valid claim for warranty? Thats not a warranty item.
    D'oh! My bad! That wouldn't be covered, would it? Sorry for missing that one.

On the other subject of the humidifier location - I am suggesting that the humidifier should be on the return boot. If the drain clogs, or the pad deteriorates and shifts in a certain fashion, water can go directly down inside of the furnace. Straight to the heat exchanger, blower motor, circuit board, wiring, etc. I have SEEN it happen.

personaly i think your contractor did a nice job. retrofit is not easy and seems he replaced what he felt need to be replaced. eveything looks tight and sealed up and he took the time to make it look as nice as he could. it is hard to see the intire job from a picture but from what can be seen he did good
    good luck with your new system
    the humidifier looks ok also and should not pose a problem either.

I do too, dont get me wrong, I just dont think he puts any value on installing proper ductwork but as far as workamnship goes, he did ok.

Understand the point about the need for a new or larger return. Looking through the bids, only one of the four mentioned a new return on their sheet.

So, what to do about it? Ask him to come back and put a larger return in (obviously, for more money)? Put a larger one in myself (it doesn't seem like there's anything but sheet metal work to it)? What are the consequences for having the return I do now?

As for the humidifier, well, I guess I can see the point that it would be better if it were mounted on the return, but at the same time, there's really not much room on the left side of the existing return, and then if we're talking of making the return bigger, well, there'd definately be no room. The shelving you see in the photo is pretty well bolted into the wall and I need every bit I can get. The aluminum tubing you can see is obviously going into the return now.....I'm assuming that if it's mounted on the return, it's only a short little piece?

Ideas?

If your return was the right size, you could put the humidifier on the side of the return.

I know you spent good money and I feel bad making the criticisms that I am making. Trust me. It's just that, where I'm from the undersized return and the humidifer on the supply side (let alone cut into the coil) are HUGE no-no's.

One of the more experienced guys around here will probably make a suggestion of what you should do. Possibly one that is a business owner. I really don't know.

[Edited by ryan_the_furnace_guy on 10-16-2005 at 05:17 PM]

I was just looking at the pics again.......I guess Im wondering if in that area they are required to have an ssu disconect, like we are. nice to have that outlet for the conensate pump but an on off switch would never pass here . Now it may be all fine an dandy where you are ....... your contractor knows your codes a whole lot better then I would. Guess Im just asking the other contractors here. SSU DISCONNECT REQUIRED WHERE YOU ARE ?

Originally posted by dec
    SSU DISCONNECT REQUIRED WHERE YOU ARE ?
    No. Not if protected by a HACR breaker.

I'm hopefully posting more photos tonight so people can see better...my web site ISP is down right now for maintenance.

It doesn't seem like you will lose much shelving , besides there looks to be plenty of room in the basement for shelves.

I'd go for the bigger return duct, your guy can buy this already made, also put the hum on the return.

Question does that condensate pump go to a drain or outside?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast