Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs up

Just wanted to say thank you to you all who responded to my posted during the furnace-buying decision process.

Thread here:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=85655

After long last, the furnace (a Heil 90+ efficient) is in and running, as is the humidifier. Both are running fine, or so it seems. Installation went from about 9:00 AM to about 6:00 PM. No major problems, other than something was cross-wired when he went to test it for the first time (found and corrected within minutes), and they had to replace a ball valve on the line into the furnace because the old, original 30-year-old one was leaking.

Can't say I really notice much difference from the old furnace, but at least I don't have to worry about whether old Betsy is going to last another winter. And I guess the humidifier will be nice this winter.

Some people asked for photos of before and after...they are here:
    http://pages.cthome.net/jclancy/

The only thing not done yet is the chimney lining for the hot water heater....it was torrential rain yesterday (day 8 and counting!) and he asked if it was OK to come back next weekend, instead, which is fine by me, as long as it gets done. He told me that he checked with the town, and it's not required for a chimney and setup like ours, but everyone here said to do it, so he's going to do it.

Speaking of the chimney, after all this rain, we had a leak around the chimney that he noticed...going up in the attic, I saw a lot of water running down the sides of the chimney in the attic, but no one place that it was coming from. I went up on the roof today with some 208 caulk / asphault and applied a liberal amount on the upper part of the chimney. I'd never looked in my chimney before, and was surprised to see the existing liner so unevenly laid out (there are photos on that site above). I wouldn't be surprised if water was leaking through those! Will the new liner prevent that if it were indeed happening?

Thanks, as always! Thoughts, etc. welcome!

Glad your happy.

If I may, the retun drop looks awful small for air conditioning. What size is it and what size is your airconditioner? While we're at it the main ductwork looks like it was installed before the house had air conditioning.

I don't know the size of the return if there's a rating or anything...it's the same return as before, and physically 2 feet by 6 inches.

The AC unit outside is a 10 seer Rheem. The coil they put on above the furnace is 2.5 ton. I don't know what the old coil was...it wasn't touched when the A/C was put in around 1998-1999.

As for the ductwork, yes it is the original ductwork, put in before the house had A/C added (sometime in the mid-70s, I'm assuming). Everyone comments that the ductwork is, like every one of the other 150+ houses in this development, too small for the A/C that virtually everyone has added.

The old furnace may have heated using a 90 degree temperature rise, that new furnace will move more air and be rated for a lower rise like 60 or less, so like doc says that return air connection looks skinny.

You may find that you will not need a humidifier any more, the house will not be as dry now that air is not going up that chimney 24/7 in the winter.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Water heater not using the chimney?

What model of furnace is that?
    H9MPD075F12B2 Right?

Which specs a temp rise of 40-70 F, which requires 915-1597 CFM. I would like to see a mid-point of 55 F at 1165 CFM.

You have a 2.5 ton a/c system that requires 1000 CFM.

That 6x24 ducting is 650-750 CFM.

So that's 45% short on the furnace and 35% on the air conditioning.

Return air needs to be increased! The rest of the install looks pretty good.

I agree. the return looks way too skinny!

What happend to the Lennox?

The humidifier is mounted in wrong location

Originally posted by johnl45
    Looks like they didnt have the height on the plenum to move it up.

Should definetly address that return drop. I am suprised that they didn't install a new one to begin with. It is standard on all residential replacements that we do. But I guess different with each locale.

Originally posted by johnl45

Looks like they didnt have the height on the plenum to move it up.
    yep

Christheheatingdude

Should definetly address that return drop. I am suprised that they didn't install a new one to begin with. It is standard on all residential replacements that we do. But I guess different with each locale.
    yep, yep

[Edited by pjs on 10-15-2005 at 08:56 PM]

If that humidifier ever leaks for any reason, your furnace is shot. Just hope that it happens inside of the warranty period.

And the return is definitely too small.

Have to agree that the drop is too small. No way of keeping it the right static pressure when its that small. They should have charged you the cost of adding a new one and installed the humidifyer on the new return drop, then to cut into the evap coil casing. I think you made a great choice on equipment...I like Heils, its good equipment. Im not trying to pick on your installers and they are smart to get that liner in for your water heater . A lot of shops try to skip that but its not right if you dont in my opinion. My main problem is with the return drop tho...... did any one else that bid it question the size of return drop?

Originally posted by ryan_the_furnace_guy
    If that humidifier ever leaks for any reason, your furnace is shot. Just hope that it happens inside of the warranty period.

And the return is definitely too small.
    Nice, do you really suggest that water damage from another componant should be a valid claim for warranty? Thats not a warranty item.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast