Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 52
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar08 View Post
    30 ton split system using existing 30 year old coils. All lines left in as well as accumulator. Txv's were replaced as well as liquid line solenoids. Suction line filter added and lines blown with nitrogen. How much left over oil in the system is acceptable? The coils had to stay I wish it could have been replaced. Holes were drilled in the traps and taps were added so oil could be drained and blown out with nitro. Thoughts and feelings? Unit is not fired off yet. I am thinking of removing accumulator, and flushing with a flush kit.
    If you ask this question on the refrigeration forum, they will laugh at it. Because they have done it for years.

    Look like you have done your home work on oil flushing. Let her ripe. How many SEER can you loose? This 30 tons comes off the factory with 9 SEER .

    I agree with you about the accumulator.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Coast FL
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    If you ask this question on the refrigeration forum, they will laugh at it. Because they have done it for years.

    Look like you have done your home work on oil flushing. Let her ripe. How many SEER can you loose? This 30 tons comes off the factory with 9 SEER .

    I agree with you about the accumulator.
    Yes they have done refrigerant retrofits , and the replacement gas usually has similiar operating characteristics and pressures.

    It is downright foolish to install refrigerant 410a in equipment designed for 22.

    It should be a no-brainer.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    If you ask this question on the refrigeration forum, they will laugh at it. Because they have done it for years.

    Look like you have done your home work on oil flushing. Let her ripe. How many SEER can you loose? This 30 tons comes off the factory with 9 SEER .

    I agree with you about the accumulator.
    I have never seen a 30 ton rated in SEER, maybe EER. Let her ripe, It certainly will like a bad apple falling from a tree. I will be waiting to see the disaster unfold.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    108

    wtf

    this whole scenario goes against what alot of us have learned.. different pressures .. diff oils .. different manufacturing applications - for 410a .. poe oild tolerates NO OTHER oil .. between evap. acc. how can you be sure its all out before retrofitting? and whats the point of all this .. god forbid this thing goes byebye.. now you back to replacing EVERYTHING .. and at that point you have now costed yourself and customer way more money and time then if you just replaced it which.. like it said .. god forbid.. you may wind up doing neway.. how come i never hear if at all maybe slightly .. why NOONE uses 407c? i may post that question .. i know it fractionates but its what i keep reading is a perfect drop in for r22.. still uses poe i believe tho.. sorry to go off topic .. good luck and please post the result ..

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,766
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardThenDie View Post
    this whole scenario goes against what alot of us have learned.. different pressures .. diff oils .. different manufacturing applications - for 410a .. poe oild tolerates NO OTHER oil .. between evap. acc. how can you be sure its all out before retrofitting? and whats the point of all this .. god forbid this thing goes byebye.. now you back to replacing EVERYTHING .. and at that point you have now costed yourself and customer way more money and time then if you just replaced it which.. like it said .. god forbid.. you may wind up doing neway.. how come i never hear if at all maybe slightly .. why NOONE uses 407c? i may post that question .. i know it fractionates but its what i keep reading is a perfect drop in for r22.. still uses poe i believe tho.. sorry to go off topic .. good luck and please post the result ..
    I wonder about the R-407 also... given the pressures being very similar. MeThinks it is about the cost of refrigerant...

    I hope it works... if not... Some sales guy and/or co guy(s) will be 'on the hook' so to say.

    I do remember reading the OP is not the decision maker... rather the worker-bee... lets not crucify the worker for doing as he was told.

    Please DO let us know what happens... THX!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,340
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardThenDie View Post
    poe oil tolerates NO OTHER oil I would disagree....a little mineral or allylbenzene is finewhy NOONE uses 407c? Tons of manufactures and contractors use it.....only manufacture that has a problem with it is Carrier(wonder why?)i know it fractionates but its what i keep reading is a perfect drop in for r22It's not perfect but very good.....there are others that claim better, but don't have much experience with them.
    Last I checked 410a and 407c is not far off in price.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,350
    it's up and running! cycling and doing just fine. I will keep you posted on how it lasts.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Coast FL
    Posts
    1,065
    Interesting. I guess it would cycle considering the pounds per hour of refrigerant circulated -vs- 22.

    The capacity may have went up significantly.

    It may end up like swiss cheese shortly.

    We have trouble keeping gas in equip. designed for 22 running 22.

    Good Luck~

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,766
    Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    Interesting. I guess it would cycle considering the pounds per hour of refrigerant circulated -vs- 22.

    The capacity may have went up significantly.

    It may end up like swiss cheese shortly.

    We have trouble keeping gas in equip. designed for 22 running 22.

    Good Luck~
    Yeah, I am interested to hear what issues this repair/upgrade/modification encounters.

    AirResearch.. For those of us that do not work with large equipment.. what is that in your avatar (picture) THX.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Coast FL
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Yeah, I am interested to hear what issues this repair/upgrade/modification encounters.

    AirResearch.. For those of us that do not work with large equipment.. what is that in your avatar (picture) THX.
    That is a variable pitch vaneaxial fan manufactured by Joy.

    They can be used for conditioned supply air or ventilation.

    They have high static pressure and volume capabilities.

    Generally applied when airflows and pressures exceed 40,000 cfm or more and 3.5 in. or more.

    Straight line airflow and use less space than a housed backward incline fan.

    Vanes downstream of the fan blades will staighten the circular air motion before entering the duct.

    Seen a few , never touched one.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Seattle, Wa
    Posts
    116
    Interesting thread, how is the equipement operating. An update would be great!

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    82
    What's the address and startup date, I want to see this!

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,350
    Well things were working well, then compressor noise started recently, and then mechanical failure. Looks as if Trane is having some problems with their 15 ton scrolls. The factory is running out of them, there have been several replacements around the country. I have to replace both compressors, Trane is covering the compressors, but not any labor allowance. Has anybody else run into this?
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event