Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I feel that they did a nice job, and overall, I have no complaints. If I get time, I can try and get some pics of the install.

I do not want to get too specific on a public forum (site rules and all...), but I can tell you that we used the "Home Depot" guys (I'm sure you know who). My wife and I just moved into this house, and we elected to take advantage of the "1 yr" finance free program. We are currently working to pay off other "Up Front" home purchase expenses, so we liked the idea of postponing payment until we could better afford it. That weighed into our desicion a little.

We did not have another Trane contractor quote, though we DID have three other guys quote Carrier. One of the Carrier guys also quoted a York system as an alternative, and another Carrier guy also gave a quote on an Amana system. The Amana seemed like a pretty nice bang-for-the buck.

Out of the four contractors, the "Home Depot" guys were not the cheapest, but they were in the "ballpark" relative to what guys were quoting for similar Carrier equipment (Cheaper than one Carrier dealer, actually). This was particularly true after considering the current rebates being offered through Trane/Home Depot.

In summary:

The "Home Depot" Trane installer was not the cheapest, but I feel they did a nice install, and thier pricing was competative with three other contractors in the area (though the others quoted Carrier w/ similar features, not Trane).

BTW, have you noticed that MANY contractors in this area look at you like you are from outer space when you ask if they plan to do manual J load calcs on a replacement system?

Originally posted by novadude
    I feel that they did a nice job, and overall, I have no complaints. If I get time, I can try and get some pics of the install.
    I would love to see some pics of the install. I am guessing the contractor you used had the initials DMC. I did get a quote from them and felt comfortable they would do a good job doing the install. They were quite a bit higher then the other Trane dealer I got a quote from with the only difference being their quote included the 10 year labor warranty.

BTW, have you noticed that MANY contractors in this area look at you like you are from outer space when you ask if they plan to do manual J load calcs on a replacement system?
    There was really only two contractor of the group that did get fairly thorough home measurements and I am assuming this is to do a Manual J calc of some sort. You are right it just does not seem to be a standard to do these. I don't know why that is.... I did find a software package that will allow you to do your own house calculations called HVAC-calc for $49. http://www.hvaccomputer.com/ I am very serious considering purchasing it. I have downloaded the demo, but if anyone has any experience with it please let me know.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Interesting?Where did you find the software package?

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    I live in Lancaster County and Harrisburg is my territory. I cannot do installs but would be more then happy to steer you toward companies I feel are reputable companies. You are smack dab in the middle of Trane country. I have never seen such a saturation of one brand in such a large area in my life.

Goodman now has a company distribution branch in Lewisberry, Downingtown and King of Prussia that can all service Harrisburg.
    [/B]
    RoBoTeq,
    I didn't realize you lived so close. To bad you can't do the install. You are right this area is definitly saturated with Trane dealers, with Carrier a close second. Besides, letting my fingers doing the walking, I also got contrator names from
    Trane Dealer locator website
    http://trane.com/Residential/DealerI...erLocator.aspx
    and Amanas Dealer locator website
    http://www.amana-hac.com/consumer/ch...stedSite=Amana website. Zip 17050 - 10 mile radius.

If there is someone that is not on the list that you think would be a reputable company please feel free to send me an email trichardson(at)mywebspot.com (edited to avoid bots) if you don't feel comfortable listing them in a public forum. Thanks again for all your help. I will definitly be making my decesion by the end of next week.

[Edited by ifucdseeme on 10-17-2005 at 09:11 PM]

Robo,Keep up the great work,and I did not wish to Muddy the waters or insult a True PRO!!!Peace and HVAC enlightenment is what the heat pump guru seeks.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Originally posted by heatpumpguru
    Robo,Keep up the great work,and I did not wish to Muddy the waters or insult a True PRO!!!Peace and HVAC enlightenment is what the heat pump guru seeks.
    I still owe you a drink Actually, I'll buy the first round and you will only have to buy any that might follow
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by kevinmac
    Keep in mind that the Trane XL14i and up will provide a 10 year warranty on all parts when installed as a system. Most other brands have 10yrs on the compressor only with the rest being 5 years.
    As far as I know, Goodman will continue to stay ahead of the competition with warranties. Remember, it was Goodman that has been the leader in warranties since it introduced the 5 year across the board warranty on all equipment back in 1982 when everyone else only gave 5 years on the compressor and 1 year on the rest.

On the higher end equipment, Goodman has a minimum of 10 years across the board with many systems having a lifetime warranty on the compressors and heat exchangers and some with a 10 unit replacement warranty.

After looking over Amanas website it appears their warranty is as follows:

16 SEER RSG Series(R410a) - Compressor Lifetime, Parts - 10 Years.
    14 SEER RCE Series(R22) - Compressor Lifetime, Parts - 10 Years.
    12 SEER RSC Series(R410a) - Compressor 10 Years, Parts - 10 Years.
    12 SEER RSC Series(R22) - Compressor 10 Years, Parts - 10 Years.

All Trane Models(XL19i - XL14i) - Compressor 10 Years, Parts - 10 Years.

Amanas lifetime warranty on a compressor is very impressive, just wish they had a 14SEER R410a available. TI would be willing to go with the 16SEER RSG just not sure its in my budget.

I would love to see some pics of the install. I am guessing the contractor you used had the initials DMC.
    Yes, sir!

I'll see what I can do to get some pics, but it may not be until the weekend, or next week... I have a lot going on this week, and I'm not sure I'll have time. Can I send them to the e-mail address listed above?

[Edited by novadude on 10-18-2005 at 09:36 AM]

Yes, sir!

I'll see what I can do to get some pics, but it may not be until the weekend, or next week... I have a lot going on this week, and I'm not sure I'll have time. Can I send them to the e-mail address listed above?
    novadude,
    Sure you can send them to my email address, I would really like to see how it turned out.

RoBoTeq,
    I am wondering if Amana offers a 5" media filter simular to Tranes. I have no intrest in an electronic air cleaner. The idea of having a media filter that does a good job of air filteration and only needs changed out twice a year is what I am after.

Goodman/Amana does offer the 5" filter cabinets and filters just as most equipment manufacturers do. These are not manufactured by the equipment manufacturers but rather by independant vendors such as Trion or AprilAire, so it really does not matter if the filter cabinet has the same name on it as the equipment does.

My amana dealer recommended the Ultravation MERV11 Progressive Media Air Cleaner. Seems like it is comparable to the 5" Media Filter Trane is offering. Anyone else using this product? http://www.ultravation.com/Filtration.html

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Filter cabinets that match the equipment,meaning in physical size,are the best way to go.No transition from one to the other needed,no excessive pressure drop ,from mismatched sizes ,when no transition is used.

Check Manual D for the added "equivalent feet " when the filter cabinet is not the same size as the return opening on the equipment.

Longer warranties DO NOT make the brand better than others,just a longer warranty and most brands if not all,have those available.

Now a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer,and the satifaction or or money back ,during the first year,that's one other brands haven't matched yet,as far as I know,not even at an extra cost.

[Edited by dash on 10-19-2005 at 09:51 AM]

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast