Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amana vs Trane XL14i Heat Pump

Post Likes
    ifucdseeme...

I completely forgot to get pics of my install. Let me knwo if you still want them, and I will grab some tomorrow after work.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by novadude
    ifucdseeme...

I completely forgot to get pics of my install. Let me knwo if you still want them, and I will grab some tomorrow after work.

If I choose the Trane system, which is where I am currently leaning, I will not be using the same contractor as you did. Not because I am worried about the quality of the install but there prices on the exact equiptment was sugnifficantly higher then the other two Trane quotes I got. I would still like to see some picture of your indoor and outdoor install. Thanks you.

Post Likes
    Check your e-mail... I sent pics of the outdoor unit. I'll get some indoor pics this weekend.

Post Likes

Re: Salt water?

Originally posted by cmdgk
    Howdy everyone,
    This forum has been very helpful, we need a new unit and were looking at the Amana 3.5 ton 14 Seer but we do live on salt water, why is the Trane better?
    All aluminum coil instead of copper/aluminum, therefore greatly reduced galvanic corrosion which is accelerated by the salt, In my experience Amana does poorly in a salt air environment

[/threadhijack]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by novadude
    Check your e-mail... I sent pics of the outdoor unit. I'll get some indoor pics this weekend.
    I got you email and pics, Thank you. Sent you an email back

Post Likes
    you cant even begin to compare the goodman in disquise amana to the trane, you can get a quote on American Standard, as they make trane & in my opinnion the American Standard outdoor units are more appealing to the eye. I can say from experience that the Heritage 16 will satisfy beyond the your expectations. you can even imagine the savings, comfort & performance.

Post Likes
    Well after scouring this site now for a week or two, asking lots of questions, and doing my HVAC-Calc Load Analysis, I finally feel my homework is complete. I HAVE FINALLY MADE UP MY MIND! Here is the Equiptment that I am going to have my installer order:

Hvac Calc Analysis
    ----------------------
    Sensible Gain 23,586
    Latent Gain 4,247
    Total Heat Gain 27,833
    Total Heat Loss 64,284

3Ton XL16i Heat Pump (36,000 BTUH) Model:4TWX6036
    3Ton VS Air Handler (37,000 BTUH) Model:4TEE3F37
    Trane Three-stage heat,Two-stage Cool Thermostat Model:TCONT802
    Trane 5" Media Filter 23.5" Model:TFM235A0AH1
    Trane 15kw Electric Heat Model:BAYHTR1415BRKA
    (4) 6" Snow Legs Model:BAYLEGS002

Can any of you guys verify these Model Numbers or fill in the blanks for the ones I couldn't find.

[Edited by ifucdseeme on 10-28-2005 at 12:05 AM]

Post Likes
    That air handler is 23.5" wide, so you need the TFM235A0AH1 air cleaner if you want the 5" disposable cartridge, or the TFM235A0AH0 if you want the 5" expandable media. I havn't looked at what the performance difference is between the cartridge and the expandable media, we always use the cartridge ones though.

The 6" high snow leg base and cap kit: BAYLEGS002
    If you need 10", there is also a 4" extension for the above: BAYLEGS003
    I have never seen the snow leg kit for these unit, so I have no clue what it looks like.

Trane doesn't make a return air box for the air handler to stand on. If that configuration is common in your area, the distributor may stock some made by a 3rd party though.

[Edited by mark beiser on 10-27-2005 at 11:54 PM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dash
    Where?There's a difference only if you are close by and there's a lot of surf,so salt spray is a factor.
    This is very true. Just being near salt water is not harmful. I installed a Rheem heat pump in my parents condo that lasted nearly twenty years. That heat pump was on a first level porch about 8 feet from a brackish bay and about a half mile from the Atlantic Ocean.

Sure...the coils took a beaten and the aluminum fins were deteriorated pretty bad after twenty years, but for being surrounded by salt water and right on a brackish bay, it certainly did not do bad.

As Carnak will attest to though, with a heavy salt spray and very salty constant breezes, the Trane coils held up much better then any of the copper/aluminum coils did. However, this was under the most extreme salt conditions you could have without soaking the units in the Dead Sea.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    If space will allow, consider stepping up to the 40 air handler, that will get you 17 SEER and a 9.2 HSPF, and that filter you have listed there will fit also

Post Likes
    Thanks Mark,

I have updated my post, with the info you supplied. Are there any changes or additions to the equiptment list that I should make?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by swampfox
    If space will allow, consider stepping up to the 40 air handler, that will get you 17 SEER and a 9.2 HSPF, and that filter you have listed there will fit also
    I was originally quoted this system with a 4TEE3F40A (40,000 BTUH) AirHandler/Coil but after doing my HVAC_Calc load calculations I beleive the smaller 4TEE3F37A will be better match for my home, and will help reduce humidity in the sticky months here in PA.

Post Likes
    Where in PA are you? I'm in Lancaster County just south of Lancaster city.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Where in PA are you? I'm in Lancaster County just south of Lancaster city.
    Hell RoBo you are only about 40 miles from me. I am in Mechanicsburg, just a short trip up 283N and your here. So, why arn't you doing this install? Theres a bottle of Tequila in it for you.

[Edited by ifucdseeme on 10-28-2005 at 01:17 AM]

Post Likes

amana vs trane

Hey guys, seems you've done a great job of helping the PA guy decide what is best for him and answered a Whole lot of my questions too. But I also need to decide between two contractors, (Initial got 5 bids) one is an older fella been doing this 35yrs and figured faster in his head than i did on paper and designed ducts on paper in a few mins. (rough but general idea) and a younger guy 3rd generation contractor with computer who says it will take 2 hrs to due load calc and design duct work right by tran standards. They both sound like they know what they are doing and promise to stand by their work etc. But they offer two different packages, Amana (13 seer) the highest he had to offer, and a trane (14 seer). They all agreed i need a 3.5 ton unit so I just need some more info on what package would work best in NC. I've heard/read a lot of conflicting reports on both as far as durability, repair records, efficiency etc. Please any advice is appreciated. kathy

Post Likes
    Hey RoBo,

Do you have an email address I can send you a note to see if you know anything about the company I am going to choose to do my install?

Post Likes
    Email address is in my profile. I travel through Mechanicsburg several times a week.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    klputman926, are you saying that this is a "packaged" unit, as in one unit outside with heat and air combined that needs to be ducted into the house?
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Email address is in my profile. I travel through Mechanicsburg several times a week.
    Email sent... I had no idea you worked up in this area.

Post Likes

Just wondering

originally posted by ifucdseeme
    I am seriosly considering the Trane XL14i Heat Pump(4TWX40 - R410a model) matched with Trane Variable Speed Air Handler(4TEE3F), 15kw backup heat, Trane 5" media filter and 5/2 programmable TS.

originally posted by novadude
    I live near Harrisburg (West Shore), and we had that EXACT same system (minus media filter) installed in our house on Friday (2.5 ton). If you have any questions, let me know!

Hey guys, one of the Trane dealers quoted me the same system, only difference a 2 Ton. I am ready to make a final decision, but was wondering why this company is more than a grand higher than the other bids I have received. Now, I am aware of the better quality work..higher price deal...is there a way you can let me know how high your final price was...I know we are not to discuss any price on this board....I was just wondering if a big company is worth that much more?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in