Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amana vs Trane XL14i Heat Pump

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    Well it's time to replace the old system with a new high effecincy electric system. I have had several estimates so far for replacing my 20 year old 2 1/2 ton York Heat Pump system. Of the estimates I have received, I am seriosly considering the Trane XL14i Heat Pump(4TWX40 - R410a model) matched with Trane Variable Speed Air Handler(4TEE3F), 15kw backup heat, Trane 5" media filter and 5/2 programmable TS.

After reading alot of posts here about Amana equiptment I have contacted a highly recommended local Amana dealer for an estimate as well. My question is what products from the Amana line would be comparable with the above Trane equiptment as far as seer and quality. I have checked out Amanas website but it seems to be a little confusing. I definitly want to install a VS Air Handler and would perfer 13-15 seer R410a matching Heat Pump and a good media filter.

Also would greatly appreciate any suggestions or comments about which companies (Amana or Trane) equiptment you would reccomend and why? Thank You.

Post Likes

Thumbs up NICE

Originally posted by ifucdseeme
    2 1/2 ton .... Trane XL14i Heat Pump(4TWX40 - R410a model) matched with Trane Variable Speed Air Handler(4TEE3F), 15kw backup heat, Trane 5" media filter and 5/2 programmable TS.

Also would greatly appreciate any suggestions or comments about which companies (Amana or Trane) equiptment you would reccomend and why? Thank You.
    Great System Selection for PA !

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...mps/XL16i.aspx

Compare this 2-stage single compressor unit and 10 years Parts & Labor Warranty with XL14i or others.

Although the XL 16i does not have a 2.5 Ton,
    an upgrade to XL16i to handle off-peak loading more efficiently. Installation costs may not be that much more and operating cost may be 15% less. The 3-ton unit would obviously run on Low speed for a large percentage of the time.

BIGGER is Better for PA Winter
    to slightly decrease balance point
    (i.e. use of Aux Heat).

2-stage 3-Ton will handle summer cooling load as well or better than 1-stage 2.5-Ton.

[Edited by dan sw fl on 10-15-2005 at 05:57 AM]
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I've use American Standard(Trane) for 10 yrs,as a dealer. And have found them to be a great partner.They will do anything to make the consumer happy. I'm a "Customer Care Dealer" and I have able to Comp replacement parts to a home owner who has had a breakdown of equipment which was premature. On the other hand i worked with Amana and they did not stand up to there 10 yr warrenties. Now I can use any equipment I want and I have chose American Standard/Trane. BY the way if either dealer did not do a heat load,look for one who does. Your savings will only appear if your system is sized right. Bigger IS NOT BETTER.Hug your kids.

Post Likes
    Either system will do you just fine. Remember that going to 2 stage compressor will skyrocket the initial cost with little juice savings. There will be some comfort advantages but to me, the big premium would be better spent on duct sealing or repairs, insulation, something with a better payback.

We put in the A-S version of the XLi this week. Cover on the scroll and swept wing blade made it about the quietest A-S/Trane unit I've heard. But with slow speed fan and Copeland scroll in the Amana, it will be too. The 4TEE is a nice well built air handler. If the Amana VS is like the standard one, construction isn't as heavy.

Post Likes

Nice $ for Superior Equipment

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Either system will do you just fine. Remember that going to 2 stage compressor will skyrocket the initial cost with little juice savings.
    Why would one characterize
    "an extra 10%" of the total replacement cost
    as skyrocketing the initial cost?
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    You must be getting one hell of a price on the 16 SEER. Around here, it is a huge jump in price to gain 2 SEER points and no HSPF advantage. The wholesale cost of the 16 is nearly double that of the 14.

Post Likes
    A 3 ton XL16i heat pump costs us 19% more than a 3 ton XL14i heat pump. The XL19i is 38% more than the XL14i.
    The slightly better rebates for the XL16i and 19i bring the difference down a little more.
    We are a very low volume dealer, so we don't get special pricing.

Post Likes
    Currently, Amana has the RSC 12 SEER models of R410a that can achieve up to 13.5 SEER with variable speed blower and TXV. The other Amana R410a system is the RTG, which is a two stage 16 SEER system.

Variable speed blowers are available in either the AEPT*** air hanlder that is a one piece blower/coil unit, or in the MBE modular blower that can be matched to the needed coil.

Both Amana systems use Copeland Scroll compressors. There will be 14 SEER system available for 2006.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes

AMANA VS TRANE

THe GOODMAN line (AMANA) has changed a great deal. The warranty on these units 13 seer and above cannot be matched, that is I have not seen it yet.. 10 years on parts and lifetime on the compressor.... I have been installing them for the past year now and have had little complaints... Trane of course is Trane and they are great units... the 410a I stay away from fyi freon will be phased out in 2020 and even after that you will still have R22 around.... Alot of companies do not use r410a because they dont have the faith in it yet and alot of techs are not trained or certified for it yet. For the money the Goodman is a pretty good deal and I do recommend it, however, you will find other people that dont. I install everything from tempstar to Trane and also recommend the PAYNE unit as well from Carrier... They have a good product as well... So MY personal experience is TRANE, GOODMAN and PAYNE...
    Sir Ace says, Don't hate the breed, just the breeder!
    Supports Wounded Warrior Project
    Army Vet

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Currently, Amana has the RSC 12 SEER models of R410a that can achieve up to 13.5 SEER with variable speed blower and TXV. The other Amana R410a system is the RTG, which is a two stage 16 SEER system.
    Thanks RoBoTeq,

for your input on Amana, you seemed to be the board athority on their equiptment. After reading your post I went out to Amanas website again and was able to find the 16 SEER RTG Series Heat Pumps but not the RSC Series. I saw that there was a 12 SEER RTC Ultron that uses 410a is that the series you were refering to? Also I defintly plan on using a VS blower but was not sure what you meant by TXV? Can you elaberate on what that would be. Thanks again for your help.

Post Likes
    Sorry, the RSC is the cooling only unit, the RTC is the heat pump.

A TXV (Thermal eXpansion Valve) is a type of metering device that, among other things, raises the efficiency of the refrigerant regulation.

The alternative to a TXV is a "one size fits all temperatures" fixed metering device such as a piston of flowrater.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Did you look at Carrier????
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by heatpumpguru
    Evidently not, or did not like what they saw. Either way, this thread is not about Carrier, so why bring it into the mix?
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Evidently not, or did not like what they saw. Either way, this thread is not about Carrier, so why bring it into the mix?
    He's filling in for Dash.

Post Likes
    I'm glad you said that Robo. Clearly the HO has chosen a contractor or two he likes and wants to keep it that way.

Post Likes
    At this point I have received a total of 7 quotes. I have dismissed two of them due to the inability of the estimator to answer simple questions to my satisfaction. That left me with quotes from 2 Trane dealers, 1 Amana dealers, a Carrier dealer and even a Lennox dealer. Of these 5 contractors left I felt comfortable that the install would be performed properly. Next I was able to eliminate 1 Trane dealer because of a substansial higher price for the same equiptment. BTW - This is the same contractor the local Home Depot uses. Next came the Carrier dealer. His quote was for the following equiptment:

38YXA036 3Ton Performance Series 14 SEER 8.5 HSPF Heat Pump
    FV4ANf003 Performance Series Variable Speed fan coil. (BTUH?)
    KFCEH3301C20 Electric Heat Package
    Carrier Digital Thermostat.

While this appears to be an excellent system and compares very closely to the the Trane, it was just over $1000 more then the XL14i system. I just could not justify the price difference.

Post Likes
    The people look at what whatever they want,just because you rep one brand if anyone comments on it,were BAD People. We sell both Trane and Carrier and work on everything else including GOODMAN which we use for one of our largest builders. So I thought the site was for everyone and ALL brands. We Know you LOVE your stuff and it is alot better than it used to be but lighten up on the Amanna\Goodman or nothing route.We know it comes down to the install, not the box most of the time.

Post Likes
    You will never see me mention Goodman or Amana on a thread that is discussing other brands. I am here for me, not for who I work for. I will never trash any brand (maybe a few models ) and I won't advertize the brand that the company I work for when that brand is not being discussed.

You'll notice that there are other manufacturer reps who have stated the same thing. It's just poor etiquette.

Now go wipe your nose and get back at me elsewhere
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Dude,your POSTs are GREAT!! I see that the homeowner did check out other brands and has narrowed it down to the 2 he has posted(I like to hear how people choose Brands and contractors I think it helps us all). If you realized my backround and 4 generations in the trade,you might wish to retract that last line. We are all here because we LOVE the TRADE and both have seen stuff that we do not want to see happen to the SMART people who find this site.I go to local high schools to recruit kids and we send them to a local college for FREE to get their NATE certs and provide them a job while going(the votech that everyone from 60 to 30 years old closed around here).My father was on the board who solved the Bellvue Strafford case and I was on 2 nuclear powered submarines as a mechanic,yeah your not the only guy who bleeds r-22 or 410a,you pick!!!

Post Likes

Smile

Hihihi, go guys....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in