Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Originally posted by heatpumpguru
    Did you look at Carrier????
    Evidently not, or did not like what they saw. Either way, this thread is not about Carrier, so why bring it into the mix?
    He's filling in for Dash.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I'm glad you said that Robo. Clearly the HO has chosen a contractor or two he likes and wants to keep it that way.

Originally posted by heatpumpguru
    Did you look at Carrier????
    At this point I have received a total of 7 quotes. I have dismissed two of them due to the inability of the estimator to answer simple questions to my satisfaction. That left me with quotes from 2 Trane dealers, 1 Amana dealers, a Carrier dealer and even a Lennox dealer. Of these 5 contractors left I felt comfortable that the install would be performed properly. Next I was able to eliminate 1 Trane dealer because of a substansial higher price for the same equiptment. BTW - This is the same contractor the local Home Depot uses. Next came the Carrier dealer. His quote was for the following equiptment:

38YXA036 3Ton Performance Series 14 SEER 8.5 HSPF Heat Pump
    FV4ANf003 Performance Series Variable Speed fan coil. (BTUH?)
    KFCEH3301C20 Electric Heat Package
    Carrier Digital Thermostat.

While this appears to be an excellent system and compares very closely to the the Trane, it was just over $1000 more then the XL14i system. I just could not justify the price difference.

The people look at what whatever they want,just because you rep one brand if anyone comments on it,were BAD People. We sell both Trane and Carrier and work on everything else including GOODMAN which we use for one of our largest builders. So I thought the site was for everyone and ALL brands. We Know you LOVE your stuff and it is alot better than it used to be but lighten up on the Amanna\Goodman or nothing route.We know it comes down to the install, not the box most of the time.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

You will never see me mention Goodman or Amana on a thread that is discussing other brands. I am here for me, not for who I work for. I will never trash any brand (maybe a few models ) and I won't advertize the brand that the company I work for when that brand is not being discussed.

You'll notice that there are other manufacturer reps who have stated the same thing. It's just poor etiquette.

Now go wipe your nose and get back at me elsewhere
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Dude,your POSTs are GREAT!! I see that the homeowner did check out other brands and has narrowed it down to the 2 he has posted(I like to hear how people choose Brands and contractors I think it helps us all). If you realized my backround and 4 generations in the trade,you might wish to retract that last line. We are all here because we LOVE the TRADE and both have seen stuff that we do not want to see happen to the SMART people who find this site.I go to local high schools to recruit kids and we send them to a local college for FREE to get their NATE certs and provide them a job while going(the votech that everyone from 60 to 30 years old closed around here).My father was on the board who solved the Bellvue Strafford case and I was on 2 nuclear powered submarines as a mechanic,yeah your not the only guy who bleeds r-22 or 410a,you pick!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Smile

Hihihi, go guys....

To RoBoTeq and heatpumpguru,

I would like to thank both of you for taking your time to provide your professional input. It's guys like you that make this a great site. If only either of you guys lived in the HArrisburg PA area and could do the work for me. It's not easy to find contrators with the passion you guys have for your line of work! I may have a couple additional questions before I make a final decesion but your help has made my decesion much more informed.

heatpumpguru, sorry, that last line was a bad attempt at trying to insinuate that I bloodied your nose with my obnoxious post, not that you are a snot nosed kid. It's just so difficult to get the right attitude across sometimes when we are limited to typing

You better make it to next years convention so I can buy you a drink!

Originally posted by ifucdseeme
    To RoBoTeq and heatpumpguru,

I would like to thank both of you for taking your time to provide your professional input. It's guys like you that make this a great site. If only either of you guys lived in the HArrisburg PA area and could do the work for me. It's not easy to find contrators with the passion you guys have for your line of work! I may have a couple additional questions before I make a final decesion but your help has made my decesion much more informed.
    I live in Lancaster County and Harrisburg is my territory. I cannot do installs but would be more then happy to steer you toward companies I feel are reputable companies. You are smack dab in the middle of Trane country. I have never seen such a saturation of one brand in such a large area in my life.

That said, the Goodman/Amana lines are being injected into your area after having had a bad run a few years back. There was a distributor that evidently did not do a very good job in who they sold Goodman to and did not support the brand very well. This has caused some deserved biases, but there are now some very good companies installing the Goodman/Amana brands and the number continues to grow.

Goodman now has a company distribution branch in Lewisberry, Downingtown and King of Prussia that can all service Harrisburg.

[Edited by RoBoTeq on 10-17-2005 at 01:03 AM]

Keep in mind that the Trane XL14i and up will provide a 10 year warranty on all parts when installed as a system. Most other brands have 10yrs on the compressor only with the rest being 5 years.

I am seriosly considering the Trane XL14i Heat Pump(4TWX40 - R410a model) matched with Trane Variable Speed Air Handler(4TEE3F), 15kw backup heat, Trane 5" media filter and 5/2 programmable TS.
    I live near Harrisburg (West Shore), and we had that EXACT same system (minus media filter) installed in our house on Friday (2.5 ton). If you have any questions, let me know!

Originally posted by novadude
    I live near Harrisburg (West Shore), and we had that EXACT same system (minus media filter) installed in our house on Friday (2.5 ton). If you have any questions, let me know!
    I am in Mechanicsburg. If you don't mind me asking, who did your install and were you happy with there work?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast