replace TXV, new drier and R22 necessary?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

replace TXV, new drier and R22 necessary?

Trane dealer serviced my HVAC. He says the TXV valve is defective, brand is Sporlan. He said this is a well known issue from a certain period.

Anyway, he wants to replace the TXV but also the drier and put new R22 into the system. Are the drier and R22 necessary or is he trying to get more money out of this repair?

Is the Sporlan TXV defect really well-known. The system was installed in 2007.
    The problem was AC could not cool the house enough in the afternoons, when it is 100 degrees outside. Morning and night seems OK.

Did he

give a reason as to why he wanted to replace the refrigerant? Under normal circumstances, it's not necessary. Replacing the drier is a good thing.

can't trouble shoot the system to know if that's the problem. If we were changing a txv and the drier was in the out door unit, we would recover the refrigerant, change the drier, evacuate and put in new refrigerant

Might be worrier your old refrigerant is contaminated? He would have to remove it anyways to replace the HS drier filter might as well put new refrigerant in.

Go with what he says if you want his warranty. Otherwise tell him to reuse your R-22 and release him from the liability of warranting his repair.

What he is listing is a text book procedure. Most home owners would be thrilled to have someone do their repair by the book. And avoid additional cost later because of corners having been cut.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I don't why he wants to change the R22. Looks like he is going to pull all of it then put new R22, about 10-12 pounds. I am not an expert, my first HVAC problem ever. I thought some of the R22 could be recycled into the system. Is it a contamination problem? I called a few other service people, some say replacing the TXV alone might work. Any experience on this? I am trying to see if the drier and full R22 are necessary.

this unit is in the attic.

The factory drier in the condenser requires the charge to be recovered. So he is going to charge with new refrigerant to make sure no contaminates(if there are any) from the old gas are put back in to your system.

He is performing the work as he should. If he cuts corners. Do you want to pay 3 times as much to fix it again, and again.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by ommatidia View Post
    I don't why he wants to change the R22. Looks like he is going to pull all of it then put new R22, about 10-12 pounds. I am not an expert, my first HVAC problem ever. I thought some of the R22 could be recycled into the system. Is it a contamination problem? I called a few other service people, some say replacing the TXV alone might work. Any experience on this? I am trying to see if the drier and full R22 are necessary.

this unit is in the attic.
    It could be reused if recovered into a clean tank. A new tank costs more then the refrigerant does though. The drier should be replaced.
    Last edited by martyinlincoln; 07-08-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added drier

We changed out a slug of Sporlans on Trane R22 evaps a while back. Just pumped down the charge, changed the TXV in minutes, pulled a good vacuum with micron gauge and let loose the 22. Didn't see the need to recover, change out the drier in the outdoor unit and use new refrigerant. Had there been a leak that pulled moisture in, yes.

Goodness! I was thinking outdoor txv on a heat pump when responding,not thinking is closer to correct. Sorry about that.

If he is a reasonably priced tech, you are getting a great deal.

If he is an expensive tech, you are getting a great deal.

Because he is doing it the right way, and there are a lot of techs that would half ass even a simple job like that.

High-five him for me, please.

if it is a split system, the refirgerant can be pumped down into the outdoor unit and reused, after new valve is installed.

if it is a heat pump and the outdoor txv is bad, the refrigerant can be reverse pumped down into the indoor unit and the txv and filter drier can be changed and the refrigerant can be reused.

if you want to continue with the same refrigerant, it can be recovered through a filter drier and then reinstalled into the machine after the service repairs have been made. I do this all the time. However, i will still charge for the additional time and materials, as the filter drier used for this is one time use.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast