Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spread sheets

Spread sheets

I work in a building with many pumps, motors, fans, chillers etc.. I want to set up a spread sheets to keep track of a few things like, part numbers, equipment history (i.e replaced bearing) and also equipment specs. I'm having a hard time finding a good format. Any suggestions?

Do you want to write your own or use a pre-written template type. With Excel and Visual Basic it's pretty easy to create a beauty.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

There are lots of them...
    Just pick the one you fancy, they're free.

Thanks everyone, I'll checkout the prewritten owns later. Maybe a little editing can make them perfect.

I haven't downloaded any templates, but this site is advertising quite a few
    http://freedownload3.com/search/HVAC..._Template.html

I make my own spread sheets, from everything an install needs to my on truck and in storage inventory, along with my analysis of my time versus income per job, week, month and year.
    I probably do too many spread sheets, but they tend to be addicting if you are into manipulating numbers and figuring stuff out from the raw data.

hmm, i guess i'm looking for something for specific to equipment in my bldg. for example, Pump 1 motor bearing part #, pump 1 pump bearing part #, pump seal #, coupling # etc. i have something made up, but its hard to put it all together.

Do you want a spread sheet or a data base?
    A data base can be more diverse, as in you could filter for unit, or part or shared pats.
    Say you have 10 pieces of equipment, you could enter each one, with its component parts into a database, then see which parts they have in common and which are different. Further more, you could classify equipment by use, by location, by time between scheduled maintenance, by last break down or malfunction.

Figuring out exactly what data you need is the start.
    From there, you decide what type of organization you need.

I was thinking a basic excel file should be good. I have about 50 pumps, about 40 fans and 9 chillers.

Yeah stone brings up a good point about databases. Very handy in the field on a handheld of some sort for check lists, notes, forms, very search friendly and can still do calculations if wanted/needed.

Check out hanDbase and it's capabilities, might be the sort of solution you need without alot of complexities to get up and running. Use it a lot, have for years and never once crashed on ppc or iPad. Desktop version too that synchs with handheld device.

Silly question. What is a data base exactly? I have Microsoft office at work and can't download any programs at work. Our system is part of a server and we have shared drives.

Check MS access. DB's are a searchable collection on many individual records, let's say: chiller 3 checks between 6/15/11-7/07/11. those records pop up for you to review.
    Or...Turbo tax is a spread sheet calculator~1 year/event/person, while quickbooks is a database~ many jobs, many quarters, many years with the ability to report as you so choose and calculate as formatted.

Both can be simple or complex with different capabilities

Under MS office, it would be Access.
    It allows you to set up a relational database, which is doable via a spreadsheet, but much less clunky and less prone to mistakes.
    Think a roladex.
    Each card has "x" data points.
    A database allows you to compare and contrast each point, without the duplicate entries a spreadsheet would require.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast