Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flared fittings

Post Likes
    Hi we are looking at a small rent house to buy and I noticed on the freon lines coming from the air handler and again on the outside condesor, they have flared fittings instead of brazed ones. Current owner had this unit installed 3 years ago and produced the invoice for it from a seemingly reputable ac company in town. Why would this be and is it an acceptable method? Unit works good but i was a little concerned about this. Any thoughts?

Post Likes
    If there's nothing wrong with it then why worry?

That's how some systems came installed.

BTW...I'm a curious Boy

Post Likes
    hi curious boy! No there seems to be nothing wrong with it but ive just never seen flared fittings on ac lines. We have other rentals and a personal house and all are soldered, just struck me as odd why theyd use fittings like that.

Post Likes
    Flared fittings are fine, as long as they don'tleak.
    If there is no oil around them then don't worry. Flares are used in refrigeration all the time.
    Live for yourself and ask no one to live for you.

Post Likes
    They're not that common, especially on a 3 yr old unit, but they're out there. Coulda been when the changeout was done, they left the lineset.

Does the coil and the condensing unit have the flare fitttings on them? or did they use an adapter?

Oh, and are you single??

Post Likes
    lol, nope im married. Dont know what u mean by adapter. Just has the two lines coming out of air handler with a nut on each side of a fitting and the same on the outside unit. Also it comes out of the air handler a foot, then takes a hard right, goes thru wall to outside then takes another hard right to the outside unit, i suppose these elbows are no big deal then? I understand you two guys saying those type fitting are acceptable but my first thought is it was ghetto-rigged, but guess not. And no inturmoil, theres no oil looking substance around the fittings, clean as a whisle, so i guess i will stop worrying about it. We had the ac on all day today testing it out and cools good.

Post Likes
    Are you happy or just married?

You should be fine.

Post Likes
    is anyone happily married 100% of time? lol. yes im a happy 21 years married woman to a 6-5 260 biker type lol

Post Likes
    I'm 6'0 240lb with nutin but muscle....well.... maybe 10lbs could be shed...but i'm still strong like an OX....

Post Likes
    He is strong!

I can smell him waaaaaaaaaaay over here!

Post Likes
    Oh BTW this is for the OP...

If you want my opinion on your situation, have your hubby take a picture of the unit (and post it here) with you posing next to it.

Then, I'll be happy to comment.

Post Likes
    lol jultzya thats funny, But seriously guys you saying that the flared fittings with several elbows aint no big deal right?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jultzya
    He is strong!

I can smell him waaaaaaaaaaay over here!
    Cmon man.....!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by curiousgirl
    lol jultzya thats funny, But seriously guys you saying that the flared fittings with several elbows aint no big deal right?
    Please refer to my previous post.

No picture, no deal, no answer!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jultzya
    Originally posted by curiousgirl
    Please refer to my previous post.

No picture, no deal, no answer!
    Yeah, just like he said....

I was just about to answer that question too....

Post Likes
    Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    I was just about to answer that question too....
    Nope, can't do it!

Just ask Twill and Tinknocker... they will verify... we never get the picture AFTERWARDS!

Post Likes
    sorry guys, you wouldnt want to see a pic of my B-F-A lol. So i will just take it as the set up is ok, not the best but ok. Which i guess it is cause its been working for years now with no oil stains or anything, thanks for the replies!

Post Likes
    it may not be leaking now but it definitly will

welded joints are best

Post Likes
    Originally posted by londonguy
    it may not be leaking now but it definitly will

welded joints are best

Londonguy,

A properly made flare joint won't leak. Yes brazed fittings are preffered, but flared fittings are fine. We use them in refrigeration work all the time with no leaks. I have walkin coolers out there that I installed 12 years ago with flare fittings, and they have never leaked.

Post Likes
    Strong like Ox- smart like tractor.
    Is it my imagination or is there alot of posters lately that slip in here with a girls name that start asking "dumb blond" questions, then start using phrases that only get used by people that have some idea of the subject.
    Awhile back, a gal from Arizona I believe came in here and asked some good questions. She got some good answers, and nobody went sideways on her. Since then it seems there's been more than just a few "girlie" names come through here with a hint of "what can I get started with this" sound to it.
    If the OP is legit I'm sorry, but......it's seeming all to familiar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in