+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I don't know what to do!

Post Likes

I don't know what to do!

I've lived in my condo for 2 years. Had new air handler/ furnace installed in 2009 right after I moved in and it cost me $. Last May 2010 had compressor replaced. Work was contracted through American Home Shield Home Warranty. Now compressor has konked out, warranty was for one year so it expired in May 2011. It must have been a piece of junk to only last one year. I've had ARS out here - service and sales. Do I buy an R22 unit for the roof to just fix the AC or tear out the brand new air handler/furnace to accomodate a R410A AC unit? $. Helpless. I don't know what to do. Thanks.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-08-2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: prices

Post Likes
    Something is causing your compressors to fail, if in fact they have. I would get a second opinion, find out why they failed and repair it. It's only two years old it shouldn't require a complete replacement. You should get a second opinion.

Post Likes

R22 is not going away anytime soon

with all the backing up going on I would take the less expensive route.
    Unless there was a lightening hit , the real question is why did the first unit die that horrible death
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Very good question. I'm suspicious that the compressor was even replaced! If they did replace it to get it to work, they must not have installed a new one. I've heard bad things about American Home Shield warranty program. They took the cheapest road, I'm sure. I live alone and am a senior - know nothing about HVAC. This is all so confusing for me.
    The sales people scare you with talk of not being able to get freon

Post Likes
    Thanks for your helpful advice. I will get a second opinion.

Post Likes
    R22 is authorized to be sold until 2020 so it's going to be around. The EPA intent was to begin equipment phase out of R22 products after 2010 but due to a loop hole, without going into to much info or long story, replacement parts are still available and it appears will be for a while, how long can't tell.

Post Likes

Hey evanston2300

Couple of things
    If you think they didn't replace your unit ( did you pay anything?) then call Police Detectives and ask for Fraud unit. There are a number of programs that are especially set up for Senior Fraud.
    And finally "Don't let them scare you with that "crap" Again, maybe the fraud unit might want to do a sting on the turkeys.

Get a few "second opinions"

Use my profile email and I would be happy to speak with you if you need to hear it as well as read it
    Mike
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    evanston il?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Thanks, Binkster. OK - I will call the company tomorrow that said they put in a new compressor in May 2010 and ask them why they think it only lasted a year. Yesterday the service man said something about my unit was drawing 9.4 amps and it shuts down at 9.8 amps. He got it working yesterday by disconnecting the electricity so it would cool down. It was only 83 degrees outside! If you think it is OK to get an R22 unit I'd be happy to save the money. Especially here in Chicagoland we don't need air conditioning very often. I hardly used it at all last summer. Thank you so much for your support and advice. I only had to pay $ for them to haul away the old compressor because I had the home warranty. It was a huge battle to get them to pay to replace it. I did pay $ for the new air handler/furnace.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-08-2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: removed prices

Post Likes
    First, no prices allowed in post.

Second, the warranty would have sent a compressor to the company that did the change out. So they most likely did replace the compressor.

Your compressor is working, something is causing it to trip out on its internal over load. So you need a good tech to find out what. And its probably the same thing that killed the first compressor.

How old is the outdoor unit, since you don't mention it having been changed out with the furnace and coil.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-08-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: gotta learn to spell check

Post Likes
    What is a pries? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Oh, sorry....I see the red question marks. I understand now - no prices! Thanks for the info. Sorry about that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in