Thread: ADP Coil-TXV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    I just had a new unit HVAC installed. The ADP coil that was installed is TA02230D175B160567. Would the TXV be part of this coil(inside case) or would it be installed on the outside of the case? What is a "Florator"? The unit was going to have a TXV installed. Thanks

Post Likes
    TXV would be external. Flowrater is a piston metering device which is standard on that coil.

Post Likes
    Would there be a loss of Seer without the TXV. The new outside unit is a 12 Seer. Is the flowrater like a TXV or just a non-metering device? Thanks

Post Likes
    What's the model # of the outdoor unit?

Post Likes
    The ouside unit is an American Standard 2A7A2024A1000A 12 seer unit. The coil is a 2 1/2 ton ADP Evaporator coil P/N TA02230D175B160567. At first I was going to get the 80% 2 stage furnance 80K btu. After posting some questions on the board I went with the American Standard 90% 2 stage. I live in the Chicago area. I was just looking at the last Estimate and the part number of the 90% furnance is AUX060R936V. Is this a 60K BTU furnance? Would they put in a 90% and drop the size. The manual J they did said that I should have a 80K BTU furnance. I will have to see what part number is on the furnance they installed. Thanks

Post Likes
    That coil is not rated with the 2A7A2024. My guess would be you are around 11 SEER.

They can change to the HA10436 TXV coil and get 12 SEER. They can use the HE22236 which is a piston coil and still get 12 SEER. There are some TXV coils that will rate to 13 SEER.

If you don't need an ARI rating for a rebate, adding a TXV to this coil probably would get you 12 but no proof of it unless the dealer calls ADP and has them model that combo.

The 80,000 90% furnace with a 2 ton A/C sounds funny. If the house is so big it needs that furnace, you'd think it should have more cooling. And yes, if they were planning on the 80K 80%, then switching to the 60K 90% makes sense and more likely to be put with a 2 ton A/C.

Post Likes
    The house had a 100K BTU furnance and a 2 ton AC system. I was looking at the recomendations on this board on systems, and found out that it would be good to get a TXV with the AC system. I had it added to the quote, and I thought that it was internal with the coil. There is no TXV attached to the liquid line going to the coil box. I have the instruction from APD on how to install a TXV. I don't know of any ARI rebate for 13 seer units. I kept asking him about any rebates. Why would they not use the American Standard coil? Price? I thought that I was buying a 12 Seer unit and with the TXV, could get a little better Seer (12.5-12.8). I am not too happy with how this has turned out. One thing that they did was they did not purge with nitrogen when they were brazing the new line set. Now it sounds like they would have to pull the freon (R22) out of the unit, cut into the liquid line, braze in the TXV (this time with nitrogen purge) attach the sensing bulb, and equalizer line to the liquid line. Then pull a vacuum and refill system with freon. I think it may be better to just let it go. Thanks for you help.

Post Likes
    To add the TXV, pump the charge into the outdoor unit, screw the TXV where the piston goes, they will have to add a tee to the suction line for the equalizer to screw into. Evacuate (hope they did this) and let the R22 out and recheck the charge.

ADP coils are low priced but probably more reliable than Trane coils in our experience.

Post Likes
    Thanks Baldloonie for your help. I am up in the air on what to do about not getting the TXV as per the quote. The job is done and they got paid. I do have a one year warranty for labor. I may just give them a call and let them know that I know that I did not get the TXV, and that I am not happy with the job. I was just outside and checked the lugs on the disconnect box, they were out all the way and the wires were about to fall out. When they were taking out the old units, I was in the basement with one of the guys that was tell me about something. A new guy (second day on the job) was outside working on taking out the ac unit. The power for the whole house went out, the main breaker for the house tripped. I ran outside to find the new guy by himself trying to disconnect the wires from the disconnect box. His driver had some very large arc marks on it. The boss on the job told him what to do and took off to get some parts. The guy that was in the basement with me told him not to do any more work around the box, so the lug were never re-tighten. So this is how the job started out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in