Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flared fittings

Post Likes
    I've got flares on my 25+ year old lennox-- No problems

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jultzya
    Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    I was just about to answer that question too....
    Nope, can't do it!

Just ask Twill and Tinknocker... they will verify... we never get the picture AFTERWARDS!
    the picture never come afterwards either
    cant do the verdist is out
    no pic no answer heheheheheh
    and where in the world is that smell coming from lol

Post Likes
    Hea tin, 2hot promised to take a shower and soak in the hot tub this weekend to clean himself up. It's his B-Day tomorrow (Sat 10-15-05), so this is his annual cleaning! LOL

j/k 2Hot.... have a Happy B-Day tomorrow! (ya OLD man!)

Post Likes
    I have been "happily" married for 8 years............and that aint bad out of 32..........LOL!

Post Likes
    As long as they are flare they will be fine, just make sure their not compression fittings. If they are it's a sign of a real hack job.

Compression fittings where never intended to be used on any refrigeration or HVAC system.

Post Likes
    2 hot happy b day
    ok where is the picture. dam love them flare fitting blondes hehehehehehe
    pic pic pic

Post Likes
    Originally posted by kevink1955

Compression fittings where never intended to be used on any refrigeration or HVAC system.

i have some 20yr old lennox units that would disagree with that.

Post Likes
    a lot of other brands used compresion fitting to way back when and are still holding just fine. guess even the manufactuors were (HACKS) also back when

Post Likes
    boys i assure you i am a "inny rather than an outy" lol. WHY are some of you so paranoid on here about talking ac/heat? I been a lurker on this site for awhile cause we have rent houses and I like to learn as much as possible about everything that goes into them. I only know some ac lingo due to the fact we've had to replace enough of them over the years. Heres my limited knowledge...Air handler-its the deal in the closet. Condesor-the outside unit. Freon lines-the lines from the inside unit to outside unit. Duct work-its where the air goes thru. Vents-the ceiling deals. Disconnect-the box outside by the outside unit. And thats about it.

So why are some (not all) so paranoid about HO posts on here? I can see not specifically telling inexperienced HO's ways to fix things, but sharing general knowledge cant be bad for your trade can it?

Post Likes
    The flair fittings are fine, What Brand of System is this? and is it a heat pump or straight A/C ?

Post Likes
    rheem ac and no heat pump, 10kw elec heat

Post Likes
    Ok all kidding asside. Flare connections have been arround for many years. They work well and as long as they are flared properly and not loosened up they will never leak.
    Braze and solder connections are the industrie preferance as of late but it is not theonly applcation allowed. Even if the lines have to be removed for some reason the flare can be retightened and will hold as if it were new. Sanyo,Mitsubitchy, and some others still to this day only use flare fittings for the connections.
    You have no need for concern and the flere fittings will be fine most likely for the life of the unit.
    I personaly like flare connections be cause they are quicker and easyer to do. hope this puts your mind at ease
    NOW WHERE IS THE PICTURE heheheheheheeh

Post Likes

Reason Given by Training Professional

I attended a Vendor training session where this question came up. The “Factory” rep said that it seems nearly all major manufacturers of residential refrigeration equipment have (at one time or another) tried and abandon mechanical joints on the liquid and suction lines.

He himself had asked the design engineers why? They stated very clearly that the harmonic vibrations generated by the motor(s) will over time challenge the integrity of a mechanical joint. Given that the design life of equipment ranges between 10 to 15 years brazed joints which withstand vibration far better have won out for SOP.

(Personal Opinion) I've been questioned by automotive mechanics repeatedly on residential HVAC AC units. The answer I give is always the same, automotive AC's rely on an external pulley system for power, therefore are not subjected to the same level of vibration residential equipment is with an internal compressor motor. Same goes for using dye tracers, automotive compressors do not have to deal with cooling internal motor windings which are susceptible to the corrosive nature of the dye material. Seems that many automotive mechanics view residential AC from a different perspective. Typically upon a tactfully discussion enlightenment occurs on both sides… Unfortunately now and again a narrow viewpoint clouds the waters… I’ve personally observed that often those with the least knowledge hold the most rigid “opinions”.

In the end Charles Darwin may have had the right idea, time alone is the greatest winnower of aberrancy…

Post Likes
    "as long as they are flared properly and not loosened up they will never leak" Never? new one on me.

As in Faith's post, vibration will loosen joints. It is not that all will fail, but the failure rate for flares is much higher than brazed or even o-ring joints. Lots of flare systems can last for decades, but if there are 100,000 joints in similar systems, more flares will fail than brazed. Often stated here, it is the installation. "Flared properly" is harder to do than braze, double flare even more difficult. For instance,somewhat conversly, the failure rates of soldered electrical joints is higher than that for crimped connections made with proper tools - the reason is errors made in soldering are greater than the errors made crimping with aerospace tools.

As to residential HVAC flares: If one lives in a sesmic zone, the flare will likely leak after the next major earthquake, where the braze has a much better chance of surviving.

Post Likes
    It shouldn't matter if its done right and not done by a hack

Post Likes
    gentalmen you are right. there is no absolute in this trade and never is a strong word to use in this case.
    if flaired properly and not touched or any sizemic desturbance they should not leak. braze joints are much stronger and can with stand better. since the system is old and in a few years it will more then likely need to be replace worring about a flare connection that has held for years isnt nessasary unless it should start to leak. this is not likely to happen but can

Post Likes

Talking

Freon lines...... that kills me....
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in