Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Your boss does not have to send you. Check with your local supply houses, community colleges etc. They should be able to tell you where you can test for your cfc. Good luck

Many years ago I worked at a candy kitchen on the other end of the hot sugar pot. As we were pouring the hot sugar onto the cooling table, the stoner on the other end slipped his grip, sending the side of MY hand into 300+ degree sugar. It's always the other guy who gets hurt---not---the doper. As was said before, walk away and don't look back.

Glad to hear you have a nibble...Johnstone and HD Supply both have proctors for the test. Give them a call to find out the when and where.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

For over 35 years I have been hiring guys. I tried hiring guys off the street and teaching them the trade. And I hired guys out of college and trade schools that had diplomas.

We only hire guys with diplomas now. The success rate of teaching a kid off the street is about 20%. Sorry, but that's the way it is. I can't waste my time searching for a lump of clay out on the street. It is much easier for me to go to a college and get a lump of clay right off the shelf---all warmed up and ready to go .

Wowww..

I didn't post on here to get made fun ofve,I was just looking for advice thanks anyways

They come out of school around here warmed up and ready to go but I've found a toilet auger usually fixes that....I'll take a earnest and willing kid with a pair of Channel-locks and a 6-in-1 over any of the school kids we've got.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Newguy1989 View Post
    Thanks for the great advice guys,I got a call back today and they would hire me if I had my cfc card. I already have a book and all the Info I need to pass the test. Can I go into any warehouse an take it or does my boss have to send me in?

Go to epatest.com and see if there is a number to call them and ask where a testing site is in your area.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    I have to take issue with your statement. This is a great trade, but to say that most people in it are crackheads or dishonest could not be further from the truth.
    I don't think he was referring to people in the trade.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I didn't post on here to get made fun ofve,I was just looking for advice thanks anyways

benncool was not making fun of you. He is a highly respected member of this forum, and was just relating his experience in hiring people off the street/no HVAC education.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Here is why you do not need the EPA cert: You walk in, introduce yourself, express how eager you are to work and learn, that you want to make a career out of HVAC and that you know full well that the road to do that runs through hot itchy attics and filthy damp spider infested crawlspaces. Tell them that you like all of that and that you are chomping at the bit to get moving. Share that you worked for a contractor of low character and that you are are an upstanding man and only wish to associate with people of like character. State that you are willing to start at any wage offered and prove your worth, aquire your certs. with their assistance and that after a reasonable period of time that you can sit down and discuss your future with their company.

If you talk to an employer in that way, and be clean cut, bright eyed and respectful, they will NOT turn you away, if they are even just considering hiring a new guy.

Go for it Buddy. You will not let yourself down. I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I don't think he was referring to people in the trade.
    My bad

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    benncool was not making fun of you. He is a highly respected member of this forum, and was just relating his experience in hiring people off the street/no HVAC education.
    Heck no ! I wasn't trying to make fun of ANYONE interested in HVAC/R. If any young guy or gal is tetering on the fence about going to school...I'll be here to push them to go to school and get a diploma and a formal education in the trade.

"go to school and get a diploma and a formal education in the trade"

Goes a long ways in getting a job to start , getting better job's , advancement , shows you want to do it and have put effort in getting someplace.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast