Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    So Should I quit and just go to a local school or something around those lines or what should I do? Many places want you to have two to three years under you before they'll hire you. I don't want to get into school and then never find a job afterwards. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Quote Originally Posted by Newguy1989 View Post
    So Should I quit and just go to a local school or something around those lines or what should I do? Many places want you to have two to three years under you before they'll hire you. I don't want to get into school and then never find a job afterwards. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    If you get stopped by the law and there is weed in the vehicle, you could be hammering rocks in a hard place. Get it? Even if you have to sweep floors somewhere else, at least your record is clean and you can advance.

Send in your resume to various contractors. Then stop by frequently. If they see your drive, you may get a foot in their door. You don't know but what if they have a big job to do and someone didn't show up that day? The owner may say "Can you fill in today?" And there is your chance.
    Doug

you should tell this guy to go f himself. you need to admit you are a quitter when it comes to a job like this. sometimes it is ok.

I'll add my 2 cents...

1. Get some sheep skins. EPA certification(s) can be a good prereq for any employer looking for an entry-level person such as yourself. Check with a local supplier about getting a training book and find out about testing. Look into a trade school or even go talk to a trade school instructor and consult him...perhaps they can find placement for you.

2. Make sure you are working for a licensed contractor...this guy sounds questionable dare I say.

3. Don't elaborate your issues with a current employer to a prospective employer...resist the urge. Keep it simple and say something like you feel like you aren't learning and progressing like you would like and leave it at that. If this guy has a "reputation" (and he most likely does) the prospective employer likely won't need you to spell it out.

4. You say there are other techs working for this contractor? Are they just as bad? Do they not have an install crew you can get on with?

5. This may sound bad to some but don't quit...let him fire you. Give him every opportunity to. Is he taking taxes out of your check? You'll find the unemployment lines don't like quitters.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by Newguy1989 View Post
    Granted I am in Florida, but I would change employers three times a year before I worked for myself. I worked for a national chain hvac/plumbing company at first and my very first illustrious "leader" was drinking and smoking dope. You can learn a little from such a one, but after a month or two, pray God will lead you somewhere else.
    I found some good jobs over the years, apply yourself to reading, ask questions and jump employers as oft as is necessary. Get into business for yourself when you can.

Hunter gave the best possible advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter844 View Post
    I'll add my 2 cents...

1. Get some sheep skins. EPA certification(s) can be a good prereq for any employer looking for an entry-level person such as yourself. Check with a local supplier about getting a training book and find out about testing. Look into a trade school or even go talk to a trade school instructor and consult him...perhaps they can find placement for you.

2. Make sure you are working for a licensed contractor...this guy sounds questionable dare I say.

3. Don't elaborate your issues with a current employer to a prospective employer...resist the urge. Keep it simple and say something like you feel like you aren't learning and progressing like you would like and leave it at that. If this guy has a "reputation" (and he most likely does) the prospective employer likely won't need you to spell it out.

4. You say there are other techs working for this contractor? Are they just as bad? Do they not have an install crew you can get on with?

5. This may sound bad to some but don't quit...let him fire you. Give him every opportunity to. Is he taking taxes out of your check? You'll find the unemployment lines don't like quitters.
    I would like to add to it.

I started in this trade 7 years ago in FL and it started with an awful experience as well. I got stuck on a crew of guys that couldn't speak English and they needed a guy who spoke English because the contractors refused to try and understand broken (at best) English. So, I was a grunt. I pushed a broom and I watched. I picked up trash and I watched. I pookied (painted on mastick) duct and I watched. I slept on the floor in the hotel room. I took a lot of crap from these guys but the next thing they knew.... I was running them.
    This trade isn't that hard. That company sucked and I moved on and yeah I had to "fake it" a little when I went to a different company but you have to commit yourself to learning. You can't just "fake it" the entire time. Eventually you have to be able to produce.
    I read books, I talked to everyone and when I didn't fully understand something, I asked questions. Some times they were basic questions and guys would look at me funny when I asked them but I never backed down. Earlier in my life, I was told that I had to do my time and that is how I will work my way up in a business. Which used to be true. Not anymore.
    There is very little loyalty to the employee anymore. So why should I be loyal to them. I used them like they used me. I learned what I needed and moved on. I now am a one man show and pride myself in doing things the RIGHT way. Sure, the right way costs more and you'll lose some jobs because of it but there are plenty of customers out there who respect loyalty and honesty and they will pay you for it. They trust you. The comments on my website speak for themselves. Check them out if you want.Only Pro members may have a link to their company web sites. And it must be in their sig. Not in the post itself
    Good luck buddy, it can only get better if you make it better. No one will make it better for you.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-10-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: removed link to company site

This guy is putting your safety at risk and you are not going to learn anything,
    Get out asap.

I'm not even working today,I showed up and the guy left without me,I was there when I was supposed to be,I tried calling him and no answer..what a joke.

If I can't find a new shop to go to,I'll either go to an local college or trade school. Safety is first I just want to learn everything the right way and not the opposite. He's trained a few guys to do the wrong stuff and I'm not following behind them. My days are outnumbered
    Alot of people say this trade is in trouble and now I see why.

It's July for pity's sake open the yellow pages, call ten contractors, and pick your next employer

I have it's not as easy as it seems.

It gets easier when you have more experience. Right now you need to show prospective employers that you have something that is sorely lacking in the industry (character and initiative). Hopefully you own these qualities. Say something like, I love this trade and attic work in July is the type of thing I truly enjoy. If someone needs a good helper, they need a can do attitude before they need some useless certificate. I have been in the trade for 10 years and now turn down work every week. It's a great trade bc most people are crackheads or dishonest, so treat people good and they will love you.

trul

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    It's a great trade bc most people are crackheads or dishonest

trul
    I have to take issue with your statement. This is a great trade, but to say that most people in it are crackheads or dishonest could not be further from the truth. Just look at the pro's in this forum and you will see that the majority of people in this trade are not only honest, but very knowledgable and trustworthy. Like any trade/profession there are some losers, but generally they don't survive, although obviously some do. Continue your quest to find a new job Newguy, just be open to doing whatever it takes to get your foot in the door, even if it means being a parts runner. Good luck.

Thanks for the great advice guys,I got a call back today and they would hire me if I had my cfc card. I already have a book and all the Info I need to pass the test. Can I go into any warehouse an take it or does my boss have to send me in?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast