Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by seatonheating
    Anyone know any tricks to keep the primer from running then, if we are in fact supposed to apply the glue when it is still wet. That is the main reason I let it dry. Primer running down the length of the pipe is one of my big pet peeves.
    I'm the same way...you spend so much time making things so nice and plumb (except when a pitch is in order) that a river of primer f*cks it all up. If you're like us, you have a constant need for clean rags, wipe towels, etc, usually made of old washed t-shirts my wife throws aside. Tie off (and I mean a simple, holding crossover tie--like the initial tie on a shoelace)on the pipe side of each joint with enough clearance to allow for the fitting plus some extra...apply the primer, glue, then fitting, hold for 10 secs or so, whip off the strip rag that blocked the stream of primer and move on down the line. Takes mere seconds...and of course only necessary in-those-out-in-the-open, visible areas.

Try keeping a rag in your left hand around the pipe while your applying primer with the right, It tends to keep it contained.

primer chemically sands the surface of the pipe, it takes off the shine of the pipe letting the glue soak in.

If you want to eliminate the mess of purple cleaner all over the pipe mix some purple primer with your glue and use clear primer to primer the joints. or........ make up your vent system dry and then assemble on the ground... horizontally... being carefull to make sure that any joints made in place will lessen the chance for drips and streams of primer.

Corny,
    You need to read the my previous posts on this thread. Prepping it on the ground is what I normally do. But I guess you can't do that because then the primer dries and isn't as effective. I like the rag trick but I'm so anal I'll probably still do it my old way because I like a nice clean stripe of primer, besides I'd probably screw that whole method up by using the rag on something else and getting it pink,,ha ha

If you like a nice clean line wrap the pipe with a piece of duct tape. Keep the one end folder over so you can easily remove it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12