Primer on PVC vents?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hmm

I know that it should always be done, and not just for venting. But I just started working for a new company and I need to convince them(especially a co-worker of mine) that it must be done. Hoping that you guys could help me tell them(him)why and what dangers there are in not doing so. Thanks

BTW, he's a bit of a know-it-all so I'm hoping this can bring him back down to earth.

Well, to convince him, let him read the can's instructions? If that doesn't work might ask him why every (good) plumber uses it?

I'm sure someone else will be along with the technical reasons soon though...
    Till then maybe ya could get some enjoyment out of this thread?
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....4&pagenumber=1

You Have to use primer on anything over 1"

It needs to be applied right before applying the glue, you can't let the primer dry, otherwise....what's the point? it softens the PVC and cleans it from contaminants, so when the glue is applied, it sort of welds the fittings together. Anyone who does'nt use primer, does'nt belong here.

Not to mention it is code in many areas. I have fought with inspectors because we used that funky clear primer and since he didn't see purple, he failed us. Check with your local code enforcement office and maybe have them drop by and give a "primer" on primers.

Ya, that's a funny thread, read it the other day. By the way, I always apply primer, even to 3/4". My boss today said that he has used acetone in the past(guess because it is clear). Is that safe?

Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    You Have to use primer on anything over 1"

It needs to be applied right before applying the glue, you can't let the primer dry, otherwise....what's the point? it softens the PVC and cleans it from contaminants, so when the glue is applied, it sort of welds the fittings together. Anyone who does'nt use primer, does'nt belong here.
    Crap, I am a reject then. I always let it dry. I guess that is better than using none at all though. Are you sure you are supposed to leave it wet?

correct me if im wrong - latest Internationl Mechanical Code book states not only that you have to have it, but it must be purple (on exhaust vents) so it can be seen that you've used it.
    "Dodge is a damn fine car. Ran over my wife with a Dodge" - Zeke, Married with children

I always understood that primer should have a chance to soak the pipe(drying) before you apply the glue to ensure proper penetration of the pvc. Am I wrong?

primer should be wet when glue is applied

Straight from Oatey Frequently Asked Questions web site

http://www.oatey.com/faq.asp

1.What is the difference between pipe cleaner, primer/cleaner and primer?
    All pipe surfaces should be thoroughly cleaned with pipe cleaner. The cleaner is formulated to remove surface dirt and any oils or grease that exist on the pipe from the manufacturing process. Primer/Cleaner and Primer contain more aggressive solvents and will soften the pipe surface to allow the solvent cement to penetrate more effectively. Primer is often required by plumbing code and sometimes a purple colored primer is needed.

8. Should primer or primer/cleaner be allowed to dry before applying solvent cement?
    Because the primers will soften the pipe surface, it is important to apply cement to the pipe and fittings while the primer is still wet for maximum bond strength.

Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Technically You should use cleaner,then primer,then glue. Generally everybody uses primer,then glue. As for wet insertion or dry, the primer softens the plastic so you get a good covalent bond and if you read the label it is acetone based and you can thin it when it starts to get thick with acetone. It pretty easy to assemble wet with 2" or 3" pipe,Try it with 6" or 12". When they assemble the big pipes at water amusement places they put the stuff on with rollers not daubers. We had installers on 90% furnaces assembling The exhaust pipes without primer,just glue. We had to go back 2 yrs later and redo the joints because they started leaking. Guess who paid for that. I always deburr,primer and them glue every time. no matter what the size of the line. As for people that know it all, I tell them I have 3 teenage boys at home that know it all too! Would they like to come over for dinner, It would make for a very enjoyable dinner conversation.

And I always let the primer dry. Who said you cant teach an old dog new tricks! Thanks

Anyone know any tricks to keep the primer from running then, if we are in fact supposed to apply the glue when it is still wet. That is the main reason I let it dry. Primer running down the length of the pipe is one of my big pet peeves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast