Thread: Air Filter

My furnace installer is wanting to install a 4" (24" x 24") filter manufacturered by "90 Plus". The rep that quoted me a price on my furnace admitted its a bit of a marketing ploy to keep me connected with them to get a replacement as they seem to be the only one that has them at $38 each and they need to be replaced once a year. The filter is supposed to be rated at 92% efficiency based on ASHRAE 52-76. Should I just tell them to leave my 1" rack so I can replace my filters with a good 1" pleated filter periodically or is this 4" filter worth the money?

You might want to do a search on this site for some real
    information and alternatives.

Your quoted price seems reasonable (we don't talk prices here).

Do you trust your contractor and want "them" back on a regular basis? Or?

Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Go with the 4" and let your furnace breathe. If you took apart all the pleats in a 4" filter, you would see how much greater the amount of filtering surface area you have with the 4". Never too much filter surface area. Most people don't have enough. You can get that size filter at a few places yourself, but if you get regular clean and checks,let your contractor replace it and save yourself the trouble.P.S. I would change it at 6 mos.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

ksspartan

What is the published static pressure drop for this new filter?

.23 in WC Clean

ksspartan

Could that not create a problem if a blower was rated for .5" and all you had left for the whole system was
    .27" without adding an additional static drop for a partial dirty filter in the cooling mode?
    Just asking.
    Thank you, tom

You can't have a useful discussion of static pressure drop of various filters without discussing the flow rate through the filter. Any given pressure drop could be great or awful; it's a question of if we're putting 200 or 400 or 600 FPM through it when we measure that pressure drop.

Media filters are generally good stuff. I'd be inclined to get something from a more common brand (Honeywell, Trion Air Bear, Aprilaire, or one of the big equipment manufacturers) in a more common size (16x25, 20x20, 20x25). If you buy something as oddball as this "90 Plus" in 24x24, you're going to have a hard time obtaining filters over the long run.

Originally posted by ksspartan
    My furnace installer is wanting to install a 4" (24" x 24") filter manufacturered by "90 Plus". The rep that quoted me a price on my furnace admitted its a bit of a marketing ploy to keep me connected with them to get a replacement as they seem to be the only one that has them at $38 each and they need to be replaced once a year. The filter is supposed to be rated at 92% efficiency based on ASHRAE 52-76. Should I just tell them to leave my 1" rack so I can replace my filters with a good 1" pleated filter periodically or is this 4" filter worth the money?
    I would request that they install an Aprilaire Spacegard or Aprilair "Electronic" Spacegard on your furnace. If you really want top of the line filtration, these are the way to go. Do a search on "aprilaire spacegard" on google.