Thread: I have no ducting - recs for heat/cooling?

Post Likes
    Hi, I am a complete newbie, having only bought my house a year ago.

I have a cute first home that was remodeled a few years ago. The only problem is that the temperature variation on the main floor is a bit too much for me from season to season.

I do not have a furnace or ducting. I have a thing that looks like a wood stove but is actually gas in the basement - it is thermostatically controlled (temperature sensor is in a small remote control). So the finished basement (family room, two bedrooms) is always perfect, and it's also cool enough in the summer. The previous owners did good with environmentally-responsible stuff, for instance I have one of those instant-hot-water-heaters (no water tank). I'd like to continue on that track.

The problem is the upper/main floor. I have zonal electrical heaters (they blow hot air) in the walls that are ugly and I hate using them as they are all manual. Also in the summer it gets too hot sometimes. I live in Portland OR and there are always 3-4 weeks where it gets above 90 - ceiling fans don't cut it, and I work from home.

I am changing the upper floor to wood floors (so it will be even colder), and I am getting a grand piano, and you really don't want extreme temperature swings with one of those.

I really don't want a window a/c or one of those ugly thru-wall a/c's. I basically want 10-15 degrees warmer in the winter, and 10-15 degrees cooler in the summer, stable temperature range and no weird humidity extremes (because of the piano).

So I'm looking for recommendations. One thing that looks like it might be a good option is mini-splits...? I only learned about them yesterday. Are they only for A/C or do they also work for heat? I'd really probably only need it to go into two locations on the main floor. My dining room (which opens to my living room, where the piano will be), and my office (computer equipment). My main floor is only 765 square feet.

I am also thinking of a very small gas fireplace in a corner unit. kozyheat makes a nifty looking fireplace for a room corner with a wine cabinet above - the "two harbors" model. don't know if that would be sufficient for heat.

Anything else I should consider? Maybe even one of those solar-powered attic fans would be good enough for cooling? Are there other environmentally-responsible things I should be considering? Does geothermal require ducting? I am not really even sure how to take the next step to learn about my options, other than asking here. I tried calling Home Depot but they didn't have a clue - they just tried to sell me portable heaters and a/c units. All I know is I don't want those, and I don't want to tear apart walls or subfloor to install inside-the-house ducting. Too expensive, too much of an ordeal.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm hoping to get things accomplished in the next six weeks. Also, I don't mind spending a bit extra for even lower electricity/gas bills.

Post Likes
    really can't give ideas without seeing it. call a couple local companies and see what they suggest.

Post Likes
    i would recomend sanyo ductless heat pump units this way you will not have any duct work and can still cool and heat your house. heat pump should not cause extreme humidity swings either

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tunesmith

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm hoping to get things accomplished in the next six weeks. Also, I don't mind spending a bit extra for even lower electricity/gas bills.
    Wow, That is a lot of questions. All I can say is call several reputable HVAC contractors in your area and see what they have to say. Don't be shy. Ask questions.

I can't believe Home Depot didn't try to sell you a Trane system. ;~)

Post Likes
    Actually, now that you mention it, they did say something about a Trane system. :-) I didn't know what they were talking about so I ignored it.

The responses are helpful already. I didn't even know what a HVAC contractor is. Are there resources to find reputable contractors? My two best ideas right now are to ask the realtor who sold me my house, and to check the yellow pages.

Post Likes
    Also, just wondering, who do people call to come out and give advice if they're not certain they need a HVAC contractor yet? For instance, I wouldn't want to be be receiving recommendations on a two thousand dollar (or whatever) minisplit system if it turns out that an attic fan and some window films would do the job. But I'm not sure what sort of person to call and ask about that level of stuff. Are there people for that kind of thing?

Post Likes
    Ask around your area for a good HVAC contractor. Also a good contractor will not sell you something you dont need. There are some honest people out there it just might be a little difficult to find them.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tunesmith
    Hi, I am a complete newbie, having only bought my house a year ago.

I live in Portland OR and there are always 3-4 weeks where it gets above 90 - ceiling fans don't cut it, and I work from home.

I basically want 10-15 degrees warmer in the winter, and 10-15 degrees cooler in the summer, stable temperature range and no weird humidity extremes (because of the piano).

One thing that looks like it might be a good option is mini-splits...? I only learned about them yesterday.

Given a 6-Week schedule,
    2-ton or less Mini-split Heat Pump is the only option.

Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in