Goodman/ Amana units are improving in quality

I must say I am impressed with the new parts they are putting in these units. Their new aluminum coil must be the best looking thing since sliced bread, they now have factory installed TXVs(Emerson not Parker), new variable speed boards that communicate. Of course I am understandably frightened enough not to buy one for a long time.

Here are the current stats: Units installed in the past 2.5 years (majority in 2009)

66 Amana heat pumps
    20 coil failures
    18 TXV failures
    5 compressors
    3 reversing valves
    4 Multi Tap Capacitors
    1 hole in discharge tube coming off compressor ( cut it in wrong place at factory?)
    1 shorted wire on capacitor

That is yes 53 major to medium repairs in 1.5-2.5 years.

$0 in compensation from Goodman/Amana
    $$$$ many, many pounds of R410a on us.
    ##### many, many, many man hours in the hottest times of the year when other calls have to be turned down in order to do warranty work.

This does not count several service calls due to our mistakes and one variable speed motor that got hit in an electrical surge.

We did a load calculation on almost every installed unit. We upgraded the ductwork on almost every unit also. Used vacuum pump, superheat, subcool.

I wonder how many people never called me back for the first service call?

Well I'd better rest up, got a 1.75 year old Amana making that sound that a compressor makes when it dies first thing tomorrow.

Thank goodness for Goodman.
    Last edited by Stamas; 07-07-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Removed questionable reference

I hope this is a good lesson in purchasing low ball equipment witht he best warranty in the business.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I sure don't have the problems the op does with Amana,Goodman.
    I have more units out there not as many heat pumps only 8 in the last 2 years.
    1 compressor
    2 evap.coils
    1 discharge line
    1 o.d. fan motor
    1 o.d. txv
    1 leak at reversing valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    I hope this is a good lesson in purchasing low ball equipment witht he best warranty in the business.

Look to the past to learn;look forward to live.

Coach Dean E. Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    What brand do you install?

Quote Originally Posted by captube View Post
    I sure don't have the problems the op does with Amana,Goodman.
    I have more units out there not as many heat pumps only 8 in the last 2 years.
    1 compressor
    2 evap.coils
    1 discharge line
    1 o.d. fan motor
    1 o.d. txv
    1 leak at reversing valve.
    I was wondering if it was their heat pumps. I am also in an extremely hot and humid area. Other contractors have had the same problem that I know.

Eh, ADP coil install, and about four days later, the elbow in the backside of the coil ruptured. Dumped the whole refrigerant load.
    About three hours to swap it out and recharged, and an entire system charge of 410.
    Compensation from ADP = 0
    Supply house did me right on a couple of jobs afterwards to make up for ADP, but wasn't their responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    I must say I am impressed with the new parts they are putting in these units. Their new aluminum coil must be the best looking thing since sliced bread, they now have factory installed TXVs(Emerson not Parker), new variable speed boards that communicate. Of course I am understandably frightened enough not to buy one for a long time.

Here are the current stats: Units installed in the past 2.5 years (majority in 2009)

66 Amana heat pumps
    20 coil failures
    18 TXV failures
    5 compressors
    3 reversing valves
    4 Multi Tap Capacitors
    1 hole in discharge tube coming off compressor (juan cut it in wrong place at factory?)

##### many, many, many man hours in the hottest times of the year when other calls have to be turned down in order to do warranty work.

This does not count several service calls due to our mistakes and one variable speed motor that got hit in an electrical surge.

We did a load calculation on almost every installed unit. We upgraded the ductwork on almost every unit also. Used vacuum pump, superheat, subcool.

Well I'd better rest up, got a 1.75 year old Amana making that sound that a compressor makes when it dies first thing tomorrow.

Look at the bright side.......you didn't pay much for the equipment up front, you get to pay over time with no interest.

How are you not getting anything in compensation for an Amana unit?

No labor warranty?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Honestly it does not matter to me if you do have a labor allowance or not,I just don't like the idea of having to use it that soon. I know the replies,that what it is there for and your getting compensation for your time and materials.I still think that it looks bad to have a refrigerant leak by the manufacturer total incompetence to be able to design and make a descent reliable system. This goes for Gooman/Jokemana or anyone else,and I have the right to talk about them cause I have and sometimes still sell both brands and they deserve everything I think about them.
    Look to the past to learn;look forward to live.

Coach Dean E. Smith

I've put in over 10 goodman condensing units and so far no failures. Spanning from couple months to 3 years in age.

66 Amana heat pumps
    20 coil failures
    18 TXV failures
    5 compressors
    3 reversing valves
    4 Multi Tap Capacitors
    1 hole in discharge tube coming off compressor ( cut it in wrong place at factory?)

You've got an unusually high failure rate.

60 Amana heat pumps, is something along the lines of a month and a half of work for us.

We have something close to the same numbers of failures on a yearly basis, BUT we have ALOT more units our there.

Unusually high failure rate.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

What brand do you install?
    Lennox and Luxaire.

I do not like warranty work, I would be upset about those numbers.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced