Thread: Trane Condenstation Problem II

Post Likes
    I just installed a Trane variable speed air handler in my garage. This was done last Saturday. I'm getting lots of condenstation the top of my air handler where the supply is taped down. It's really bad and it's concerning me. What do I need to do?? Anyone's help is would be greatful. Thanks.

Atlee

Post Likes
    Is the ductwork insulated??

Post Likes
    Is the connection insulated and taped to the airhandler
    Is it set for the proper cfm and charged properly

Post Likes
    Check the insulation around there. Sounds to me that either the tape job sucks or the insulation behind the tape has lost its value. Also, check the dew point of the garage, that will make ducts sweat without proper ventilation....or too much ventilation

Post Likes
    My neighbor, who works for an A/C company, installed the everything. He used a puddy like substance and taped around that. I told him about my problem and he came back and messed around with some wires and move the setting from 400 to 450 (? - I'm not sure what he meant by that one, but has something to do with the air flow I think?) That helped a little bit, but it's still has lost of condensation around the tape. (where he attached the duct to the air handler.

My garage does get very warm by the afternoon. I'm not sure if that has a major play in it or not. My neighbor said he could just installate everything with 3inch fiberglass. ? Is this necessary? Also, how worried should I be with this condenstation problem? My neighbor is play it off like it's nothing to worry about.

atlee

Post Likes
    All that duct needs to be insulated in the garage, unless you are conditioning that space.

Otherwise you're gonna always have water dripping.

What kind of ductwork you got coming off the air handler?

Post Likes
    Not sure what you mean by what kind of duct work? Here is a link to some photos I took. I've pointed out where I'm talking about. It's really not just where I pointed, it's all long the top and even behind the air handler. It's even between the flex (the return) and the air handler.

http://www.aframeart.com/guest/DSCN2116.jpg

http://www.aframeart.com/guest/DSCN2117.jpg

http://www.aframeart.com/guest/DSCN2118.jpg

http://www.aframeart.com/guest/DSCN2119.jpg

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hermosadesigns
    My neighbor, who works for an A/C company, installed the everything. He used a puddy like substance and taped around that. I told him about my problem and he came back and messed around with some wires and move the setting from 400 to 450 (? - I'm not sure what he meant by that one, but has something to do with the air flow I think?) That helped a little bit, but it's still has lost of condensation around the tape. (where he attached the duct to the air handler.

My garage does get very warm by the afternoon. I'm not sure if that has a major play in it or not. My neighbor said he could just installate everything with 3inch fiberglass. ? Is this necessary? Also, how worried should I be with this condenstation problem? My neighbor is play it off like it's nothing to worry about.

atlee
    Did your neighbor do it on a weekend or did he just happen to be the installer his company sent out? If he did this as a side job your stuck dealing with him.

Post Likes
    It has been a while since i installed a trane airhandler. If i remember there is a rectangular opening at the top for electric strip heaters that hes to be closed off. If it is not closed off the air recirculats back to the blower and can cause the top to sweat. I could be mistaken and trane now has a knock out like all the other brands but it would not hurt to look at the install manual and see if this is the case. Like i said it has been a while

Post Likes
    I looked up what you where saying and in the Installer's guide it says this:

If Airhandler is used WITHOUT a factory furnished supplementary heater, a plate is required to cover the open hole in the air flow system.

Is this what you where talking about. Is it possible that he didn't do this and it's causing my condenstation?

Post Likes
    trane hasnt changed in the past tthree years
    yes that is what i am talking about. that hole has to be blanked off with a piece of metal and screwed in tape will not hold. kill all power first because it is not easy to get to

Post Likes
    Thanks for you help. I'll see if that does it. Do I have to buy a plate to fit that or did it come with one?

Post Likes
    has to be field fabracated and installed. the book will tell you the size

Post Likes
    The Trane VS airhandler has a lip that allows the supply duct work to get taped to. What you need to do is get some of that duct board used to fabricate duct boxes and ducts. Cut it large enough to fit around the joint to the top of the airhandler. Cut it long enough and just make cuts on the inside insulation at the point that will have bends. This allows you to use one pices and bend it around the joint. Once you get it fully around the joint, use metal tape and secure it. The width I used was wide enough to go from the top of the airhandler to the ceiling. In my case this was only about 3 to 4 inches, since my AH sits on a pretty large return box and EAC.
    I had the same problem, my Trane VS airhandler is also in the garage. What happens is the condensation builds at the top, puddles and then finally runs down the unit. This fixed the problem.
    BTW I have heat strip heater so the block off was not needed. I noticed the problem more this year than the last 2. Humidty was higher.

[Edited by kevinmac on 10-13-2005 at 09:38 AM]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in