Turmoil Oil chiller

I have a Turmoil oil chiller m/n 00-300-ro-ATC in a stamping plant. I recently inherited this problem over there. THis chiller is self contained on a rack. The problem I ran across is that I went for a no cooling call. I found the low side pressure (R-22) at 0psi and the high side @ 175 psi @ 87deg ambient. I initially thought leak but learned that one of technicans recently perfromed a leak check two weeks ago. I tried to dump a little gas into the system and the pressures never changed. I then pointed my attention to the liquid line solenoid. I tried to bypass it because it didn't seem to be opening even though I had 110v to it. My question is this sytems has only about 7 ft of pipe between evap (heat exchanger) and the condenser, does this sytstem even require a ll solenoid? Any help would be appreciated. If any more info is needed, please ask.

With a name like "Turmoil", I don't think it stands a chance.
    It might get loud!

Quote Originally Posted by dmd-marc View Post
    My question is this sytems has only about 7 ft of pipe between evap (heat exchanger) and the condenser, does this sytstem even require a ll solenoid?
    If it's on pumpdown, drop solenoid, or pumpout control, yeah, it does require a LLSV. But why question whether or not it's required - it was put there to start with by the mfr, so obviously they want it there. The only question to be asked is "Is it working?".

The lls is wired in series with the compessor. There is no pumpdown circuit. I have seen lots of things installed by the mfg but that necessarily doesn't mean a whole lot sometimes.

Are you sure it's wired in series with the compressor? And again, the only pertinent question here is "Does it work correctly?". It obviously worked for a period of time before this, so why would it's use be in question?

I'm not familiar with that machine but wonder if you have a spare coil to drop on top of the solenoid. Or, maybe an identical coil and you can compare the resistance across it to see if the coil is shot.