Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC Adhesives

Anybody ever mix the primer in with the glue for connecting pvc pipes. I worked with a guy today that does it. He has one can with the primer mixed in with the glue. Seems to work and saves time.

thats about the dumbest thing i heard this week. hope he is not doing furnace exhaust venting with his home brew.

I saw that on one of those home fix it shows. I don't think it is recommended practice. I mentioned it at our local supply house, and they all got a good giggle out of it.

I wouldn't do it.

I was taught repeatedly in the field, purple is primer, and if you don't see purple on an existing joint then you are guilty if you don't replace it. This opens up a new can of worms...

Hallelujah to t527ed for exhaust vents! Come to think about it how much time can one really save even on 1” piping for a pan drain.

Was this individual thinking about applying for a process patent?

Why can't primer be clear! I was doin' a 90%er a couple weeks ago and accidently kicked my primer can and splattered the poor people's water tank. They were cool about it but I put an insulator jacket around the water heater gratis because I felt bad about purpleing it up on them.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Arround here the inspectors will fail the job if they dont see purple on the pipes. They wont except the clear primer because there is no way to know if you missed a joint or two. Used it once and failed inspection. The inspector was a good friend and knew i primed the joints but as he said no way to tell. Has to see purple. As far as mixing it into the glue. It is primer and will thin out the glue and weaken it. The primer is to soften the pvc so the glue can hold better. If an inspector ever finds out this is what he is doing and thinks it is deception alone with any fines imposed you will be replaceing all jobs on his list.
    I also hope any exhaust pipes done this way dont break open and cause damage or harm someone. Dont he relize if you could mix primer with the glue it would have been sold that way a long time ago. This is a very unsafe pratice imo.

I know this is gonna sound stupid, but why is primer required? We're not running pressurized water through the pvc pipe. I'm sure i'll get blasted for this but we've never used primer. I was never taught to & i've never had a leak.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

i'm in south jersey and have never used purple primer, always clear. only inspector to ever complain was plumbing inspector for gas line. told him to piss off cause venting was not his to inspect.

Originally posted by hvac hero
    I know this is gonna sound stupid, but why is primer required? We're not running pressurized water through the pvc pipe. I'm sure i'll get blasted for this but we've never used primer. I was never taught to & i've never had a leak.

you will

Originally posted by t527ed
    told him to piss off cause venting was not his to inspect.
    Around here we dont tell any inspector to piss off. If we did, his best friend would end up being the mechanical inspector who was coming right behind him.
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

we have been in business in our area for over 30 yrs, know most inspectors in the towns we work in. just got to let the new ones know from the start we do it right and not to give us crap over the nit picky stuff.

Originally posted by hvac hero

same here no primer and no leaks

also anyone who wants a real nice seal on pvc should try rain or shine its in a blue can and works great

i have glued stuff under water with that stuff

I've skimped and not used primer on condensate drains before. At the worst they'll leak. But I'm not taking any chances with the venting. Most likely you never will ever have a leak if you skip the primer... but I tend to be that lucky one in a million and I refuse to kill anyone (unintentionally anyway lol).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast