+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dinner tonight, grits and shrimp

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gtt View Post
    Love my grits, the Tex-Mex crowd are not on to them, a lot yet. I like a breakfast of grits with egg, cheese, garlic salt, butter, either black pepper or Tabasco/Texas Pete, etc. Wife from NY and the kiddos think I'm nuts! Grits HAVE TO BE DOCTORED UP, BUT, as much as I love maple syrup, haven't been down THAT road!
    Just noticed your post, (am from Alberta and love Tabasco on my eggs), our grandkids LOVE (or so they tell us) grits and/or "cream of wheat" smothered in real maple syrup. Try a little bit of it, you'll be surprised... or maybe not... Have fun and keep your family happy with your cooking...!

Post Likes
    OK, will try it one day, when I got the sweet tooth going!
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by enb54 View Post
    "cream of wheat" smothered in real maple syrup. Try a little bit of it, you'll be surprised... or maybe not... Have fun and keep your family happy with your cooking...!
    Grew up with it.
    This explains my bad eating habits today.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Grits?
    You actually don't know what grits are?
    Think cream of wheat, except made from corn and really good to eat.
    Grits are the same thing cornbread is made from, minus the flour and baking powder/soda.
    Cook them in boiling, then simmering water, add butter, salt and pepper, and eat them with eggs, bacon and maybe some red eye gravy.
    Correction. It should read "Think cream of wheat, except made from corn and if you make the mistake of getting grits instead of cream of wheat at a breakfast buffet you'll regret it."

I don't know what it is about grits but I just don't like them. I have wondered if it's the butter... I am a huge user of butter in general but it would never occur to me to add it to something that is similar to cream of wheat. Since I have moved from PA to Maryland I find grits at pretty much every diner/restaurant or breakfast buffet instead of cream of wheat. What a drag.

I never knew they were essentially the same thing cornbread is made from. I love cornbread... especially with butter or honey butter. Oh well, I wouldn't eat regular bread either without the flour, baking soda/powder, and the baking in the oven bit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by platchford View Post
    I never knew they were essentially the same thing cornbread is made from. I love cornbread... especially with butter or honey butter. Oh well, I wouldn't eat regular bread either without the flour, baking soda/powder, and the baking in the oven bit.
    You are right in my mind about cream of wheat, but grits I found were just about the same, except in Waco TX... I had a choice about "fried" and boy, I just could not figure out how fried grits were worth eating... I guess it is just what you were brought up with, but as long as they are boiled first and maple syrup added, grits are fine with me!

Keep cookin' and also, I really like cornbread... and lobster...!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in