Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quick question about the Carrier 58MVP combustion air setup. The furnace it replaced (4 year old Carrier builder's model) did not use outside air for combustion, so the installer did not change this for the 58MVP. His thought was to follow the lead of the last installer.

This can be easily remedied if necessary but I'm not sure if it is. The Carrier documentation calls for outside air.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

It's necessary! Must be direct vented. Must follow installation instructions, no question.
    Question authority!

Why anyone would defeat the efficiency of a 90+ by single pipe is beyond me. (pulling in outside air through cracks costs money). There is also the chance you starve the furnace of combustion air.

Wink

It can be done and it does not lower the efficiency. I know this for a fact and I'm sorry but I can't tell you where I work.

I agree with doc. If it were up to me, all condensing furnaces would be required to utilize outside combustion air.

It may not reduce the efficiency rating of the furnace but it certainly does reduce the efficiency of the completed system when conditioned air is blown out the venting and unconditioned air to replace the wasted air is brought back in through leaks in the house.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

You must take the combustion air from outside with this furnace!!

Dave in NJ

It does not have to be brought from outside if the furnace is in a crawl space, unfinished basement or attic. But if the instructions say do it then standard practice should be do it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

It sounds like combustion air from the outside is the way to go. The furnace is working the way it is but I've always wondered.

The installer mentioned that changing the setup might negatively affect the existing air pressure setup in the house. I have no idea how to measure that, guess I should have checked here!

Thanks again!

Ive read the manual, 58MVP is NOT approved for 1-pipe vent system! However, Carriers new model, 58MVB, is approved for 2-pipe or 1-pipe.

Originally posted by smadave
    You must take the combustion air from outside with this furnace!!

Dave in NJ
    Please don't quote me on any of the following...

I half-heard it from the installers I work with, we do Carrier. Supposedly the new generation of high-efficiency/condensing furnaces can use a "one" or "two" pipe setup. (and I don't mean concentric) I mean they can breathe and burn inside air. Don't shoot ya'll, this is just what I heard.

Either way, if you value the life of your equipment, I would absolutely demand it use outside air for combustion.

Originally posted by york_hvac
    Ive read the manual, 58MVP is NOT approved for 1-pipe vent system! However, Carriers new model, 58MVB, is approved for 2-pipe or 1-pipe.
    Yup, what ^he^ said.

I was at the class and 58MVB will be able to be 1 pipe and will see the CARRIER guys in Las Vegas,and we thought TRANE outdoors were BIG!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Okay, now I'm confused!

Carrier 58MVP080-F, inside or outside air for combustion? Carrier manuals say outside, some installers are saying inside, others outside.

The installer of this system is a super guy, I don't want to call him back and sound like an idiot, or perhaps more than usual...

Thanks, I do appreciate the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast