+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Job Crossover

Post Likes

Job Crossover

I am a 24 yr journeyman electrician, interested in something different.

Is training to be a AC repair tech something that could be a possiblity ? or does it take years ?

Post Likes
    Definitely could be a possibility, but will likely mean a major pay cut, short of working for an AC company as their electrician and then getting OJT on AC.
    There are also night HVAC classes offered in many locations or online training.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    I too want to make the leap into hvac. Im no stranger to the hvac game though. I have been an auto tech for 15 years now and hate it. Was working working for a friend who has his own hvac business. It is demanding but it is no where as demanding as auto tech. All they do is hvac. Mechanic has to know ecerything from troubleshooting to do simplest thing. What hvac people struggle woth is a joke. I laughed at my friend struggle to fit an elbow drain pipe cause the working area is too narrow to him.

... anyway, i got my epa 608 universe card recently and in sear h for a full time job in hvac. Im atill waiting for the call. It has been over a week now and i havent heard from them yet. Lolzzzz. I believe
    Im more than qualified. We will see though.. lolzzz.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chettana View Post
    It is demanding but it is no where as demanding as auto tech. All they do is hvac. Mechanic has to know ecerything from troubleshooting to do simplest thing. What hvac people struggle woth is a joke.
    Welcome to the site.......and good luck.

With that said......I'm not sure what your buddy does in the HVAC world, but apparently it wasn't much. To say what HVAC/R mechanics have to deal with is a joke, means you haven't seen nothing. And that's kinda of a bad attitude to have, trying to get in the business.

So why are you getting into this line of work? Hopefully, it's not because you think it's good money and easy.

BTW: I do think auto mechanics are under paided....but that a whole nother story.

Post Likes
    What hvac people struggle woth is a joke.
    I'll bet you just can't wait to climb into a 150° attic at 5:30AM or a dark damp crawl space at 8:30PM.

All an HVAC tech needs to know is pretty much everything an electrician needs to know, everything a plumber needs to know, everything a carpenter needs to know, everything a cement mason needs to know, and then just the little things that have to do with sheet metal work and refrigeration.

Hope you get that phone call! Good luck!

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Post Likes
    I too want to make the leap into hvac. Im no stranger to the hvac game though. I have been an auto tech for 15 years now and hate it. Was working working for a friend who has his own hvac business. It is demanding but it is no where as demanding as auto tech. All they do is hvac. Mechanic has to know ecerything from troubleshooting to do simplest thing. What hvac people struggle woth is a joke. I laughed at my friend struggle to fit an elbow drain pipe cause the working area is too narrow to him.

... anyway, i got my epa 608 universe card recently and in sear h for a full time job in hvac. Im atill waiting for the call. It has been over a week now and i havent heard from them yet. Lolzzzz. I believe
    You wont make it far with that attitude.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

Post Likes

Please tell me you told that little anecdote at your interview. A lot to learn you have young jedi. Not sure why you would assume this to be an easy business to master, but I wouldnt post that around these forums too much

Post Likes
    Sorry if I offended all of you. I didn't mean to come off that way. My comment was in reference to my friend. He is an hvac technician and he own his own hvac business. Thanks for the welcoming mat. lolzz

Post Likes
    Thanks for pissing on all 'HVAC people' with the comment. There's dumb people in every field just as there is smart people in every field. Broad statements like that in this situation shows arrogance and ignorance. Good luck to you and I think you're in for quite an awakening.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    BTW - apology was accepted until the welcoming mat comment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrk8r View Post
    I'll bet you just can't wait to climb into a 150° attic at 5:30AM or a dark damp crawl space at 8:30PM.

All an HVAC tech needs to know is pretty much everything an electrician needs to know, everything a plumber needs to know, everything a carpenter needs to know, everything a cement mason needs to know, and then just the little things that have to do with sheet metal work and refrigeration.

Hope you get that phone call! Good luck!
    You forgot having to know how to do some roofing, shingles, rubber, tar and metal. And the part where a HVAC/R tech has to have all the specific tools needed for the HVAC/R part of the job, plus all the tools for the other trades.

Don't know anything about unions or up north, but down here, a green HVAC/R tech will start off making more than a journeyman electrician. And the only electrician who is going to make more money than a seasoned tech, is one who owns the electrical company.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Don't know anything about unions or up north, but down here, a green HVAC/R tech will start off making more than a journeyman electrician. And the only electrician who is going to make more money than a seasoned tech, is one who owns the electrical company.
    What state are you in ?

My trade is boring, unless your doing control work, but there's no factories, where I live.

I like the mechanical/electrical jobs. That's why AC looks interesting.

Post Likes
    Sorry if I offended all of you. I didn't mean to come off that way. My comment was in reference to my friend. He is an hvac technician and he own his own hvac business. Thanks for the welcoming mat. lolzz
    Auto Mechanic job is bad ? It looks like you would have to know a lot.

Troubleshooting the elctrical, I could get into.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in