The books I am reading for class are driving me crazy; how do u guys stay awake reading these HVAC books ....

Has any1 in here ever had the same problems as I am having getting thru the literature in this field.....

I understand yur point !
    You have to be familiar with the proper terms and the theory to fully understand them.
    I use to tell my students that they would not get enough info the first time, so read it regularly, and probably would not get alot of info until they were in the field and had gathered some experience as well. Then re-read the book, and you will get a lot more out of it.

Hope this helps,
    YOu are not alone
    Richard

read the books to get through school. The real knowledge will come from the field when you get there. Now dont anyone take that the wrong way. Theawkard you still need the theory part of it but hands on experience will be a lot better.

What's the matter, is it too much like Rocket Science???

It isnt easy. Born is right but i found that a little at a time goes alot farther then trying to read alot at once.
    Hange in there it will be worth it in the end

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    [B]It isnt easy. Born is right but i found that a little at a time goes alot farther then trying to read alot at once.

Right Tinknocker, I should have made that point myself - glad you were here to chime in. I tell my wife, who is training, to go one chapter at a time ( doesn't matter the sequence, just go for any one chapter, get it, then go for another ) - and ask questions to anyone that will listen - Have gotten plenty of good answers from my even my suppliers. ( Though most don't anything - some do..)

Richard

I can read a text book (mostly welding, hvac, or machinest books) way easier than I can a normal story telling book.

Soon as I start reading a story I'm out like a light, but a lot of the time I have to keep close attention to the time if I'm reading a text book so I don't get too carried away.

I've had the same problem, nothing like practical application.

Writing is both art and science… Find an author who has master the art form to a degree that you enjoy and the literary work will rollout before you like a pleasant journey. Personally (and professionally) I have always had success by trying a sampling of various writers’ text, and your local library will be happy to obtain nearly any book you desire through inter-library loan, without cost!

A good textbook is like an excellent map, it may not tell you exactly how to get from point A to point B but it certainly keeps you from wander off course in uncharted waters, enough said.

The fact that you’re using this forum is in it’s self a very positive sign that you’re benefiting from the written word. Possibly a “forum” format is the art form medium of choice in your particular situation, make sense?

Good and bad are subjective, and like art exist primarily in the eye of the beholder.

God Bless…

I've been re-reading my textbooks since starting work in the field. They've become a lot more interesting since I have some experience under my belt.

“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

>Do a lot of these sophicated, dry & flowery language HVAC books make u want to quit?

I tried, but as EE guy with 5 sem physics, 3 - Modern Physics, 1 - Aerodynamics, 2 sem thermodynamics, 2 - nuclear, 3 sem material physics etc background - most hvac books sounds like they written for idiots.

Don't get me wrong may be authors of some books tried to simplify ... other, I don't think anyone ever check formulas - cause in many books they are missprinted.

If you have trouble with basics ...

Try reading Audel,.HVAC.Fundamentals.(2004).4Ed; widely availble on internet in pdf format.. ( Physics on 17th century level, so any dropout can understand ).

Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    What's the matter, is it too much like Rocket Science???
    Sooo, what exactly HVAC has to do with "Rocket Science"....

There used to be a lot of complex issues ( and still are some) with designing rockets.

Controlling burn. Yes modern furnace has some trivial similarity. But that pretty much it.

Furnace is stationary, burns NG fuel, gases discharged outside, supply air is pretty much stable and not changing like with altitude. Weight of furnace does not get impacted by burning fuel. Lift-off force is irrelevant, center mass is irrelevent, wind does not impact position of the furnace, nor burn rate. Auerodynamics is irrelevent for furnaces, as well as guidence... Last time I checked furnaces did not have wings, correctly changing flight directions was not part of the furnace user guide.
    Density of fuel and even distribution of oxidizer is not something HVAC proffesionals are concerned....

With the lack of good electronics / CPU and sensors it was always amazing to me how in the world did they made missiles and rockets.