Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    You added refrigerant when the compressor was not running? Bad idea.
    What was the box temperature when you arrived and the psi was 50 (low side)?
    90 psig corresponds to 150F saturation temperature (not 80F).
    No high side pressure?
    Metering device is....?
    I think you are way over your head on this job.
    Too little data.
    Your a world of encouragement brother thank you for your patience and your kind words.

Most of them come with what is called a 3 in 1 start kit (aftermarket term, manufactures call them start components).

If you have condemned the compressor, why are you wondering what it is doing?
    Compressor is bad or good, and a simple test will show that it is good or bad on the windings side of it.
    If windings are good, then you check the valves.
    I'd get someone who does reefer work for a living to give you a hand.
    Offer to compensate them, and then they can give you pointers OTJ.

If the condenser was clogged and it caused even a partial restriction in the cap tube, it could cause problems when the compressor tries to start. Pull the charge and replace the cap tube/drier and weigh in the charge to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CARTNEYRK68 View Post
    If the condenser was clogged and it caused even a partial restriction in the cap tube, it could cause problems when the compressor tries to start. Pull the charge and try to start the compressor without a charge...0 psig equalized. If it won't start then the compressor may have failed. Check the voltage and current draws on both windings at startup under power. Volage good and LRA, the compressor is locked up...etc. and replace the cap tube/drier and weigh in the charge to be sure.
    I agree that cap tube restriction is highly likely whether or not the compressor starts unloaded.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Quote Originally Posted by CARTNEYRK68 View Post
    If the condenser was clogged and it caused even a partial restriction in the cap tube, it could cause problems when the compressor tries to start. Pull the charge and replace the cap tube/drier and weigh in the charge to be sure.
    Im not afraid to ask a stupid question, and Im sure the OP will benefit from this answer as well. But....., how does a clogged condenser cause a restriction in the cap tube? Anything to do with over-heated oil?

Also, a question for the OP, what were your amp readings on the compressor when it tries to start?
    Last edited by aintitfun; 07-08-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aintitfun View Post
    Im not afraid to ask a stupid question, and Im sure the OP will benefit from this answer as well. But....., how does a clogged condenser cause a restriction in the cap tube? Anything to do with over-heated oil? That is exactly the reason.
    Also, a question for the OP, what were your amp readings on the compressor when it tries to start?
    For the mineral oils, 300F temperature at the discharge valve which is the hottest spot in the system caused oil decomposition. See http://lvhvac.com/cope_bulletins/RSDtechTips.pdf

I presume that this is the same for the new oils (POE and others) for the HF refrigerants. Can anyone verify that?
    Mark Twain

most of the freezers i see are all on R404a not 134!

If the condenser was blocked adding gas won't solve anything mate.

reclaim all the gas, vac it out and start again, adding the exact amount on the data plate and put an amprobe on the compressor too.

as the motor's had time to cool down, If you're lucky it'll run

back up a few steps

i still havent seen pressures yet how can we say restricted cap tube if we dont know head pressure. also does the compressor run what are the running pressures if yes. is the compressor tripping off on high pressure.whats your pressure controls set at its really hard to give any answers i think without complete info reply with listed info

back pressure
    head pressure
    superheat
    pressure control settings
    compressor type
    ohm ratings of comprssor
    metering device type

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    i still havent seen pressures yet how can we say restricted cap tube if we dont know head pressure. also does the compressor run what are the running pressures if yes. is the compressor tripping off on high pressure.whats your pressure controls set at its really hard to give any answers i think without complete info reply with listed info

back pressure
    head pressure
    superheat
    pressure control settings
    compressor type
    ohm ratings of comprssor
    metering device type
    As I recall on these things, you won't find a low or a high pressure control. All they have is a thermostat. Internal overload on the compressor is about it. I agree that we still should know the high pressure though, in case the compressor is trying to start when the system has not equalized.

Sorry guys I've been bussy. The Compressor is not starting so I have no pressure readings for it. All it does is make a rumbling sound for a few seconds and no change in pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by sda View Post
    Sorry guys I've been bussy. The Compressor is not starting so I have no pressure readings for it. All it does is make a rumbling sound for a few seconds and no change in pressures.
    Have you ohmed out the windings on the compressor once it is cool?
    That will tell you if the compressor is good or not on the electrical side?
    I am assuming it is a recip?
    Is it rumbling then cutting off on internal or rumbling and free spinning?

We still want to see the pressure readings. Humor us. There are reasons. If there is any change at all during the rumbling let us know that as well.
    Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12