Carrier Infinity thermostat needed?
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    I just built a new house and had a Carrier 58mvp120 furnace installed. My installer installed a single stage programable thermostat for the system. Would it be worth it for me to have a multi stage thermostat installed. Is it worth it to put in the infinity thermostat. I don't have a humidifier in the system but do plan to add AC next summer.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    PA/DE area
    Posts
    1,535
    Get it!!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Well worth the cost.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    35
    Did they not offer you the Infinity when they installed the Infinity system? The control IMO is the best part of the system.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jthomas21
    Did they not offer you the Infinity when they installed the Infinity system? The control IMO is the best part of the system. [/QUOTE


    Yes,but remember it takes the 2.5 version of the GE ECM to make it work.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the replies,

    My installer didn't tell me about the infinity thermostat. I started looking into it when I turned the furnace on last week. After investigating it, I found out that the installer only installed a single phase thermostat.

    Dash,
    Are you implying that I may not have the right GE ECM in the furnace to make the thermostat work? Could this be an additional cost to add the thermostat.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,042
    If you had this MVP furnace put in recently, it will be compatible. There are some older MVPs that are not compatible with the Infinity, but it doesn't sound like the case here.

    So yeah, do try to get the Infinity. It's outstanding. If for some reason you can't get it, at least get a two stage thermostat. You're cheating yourself out of real two stage furnace operation by using a single stage thermostat to control it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Originally posted by snjpark
    Thanks for the replies,

    My installer didn't tell me about the infinity thermostat. I started looking into it when I turned the furnace on last week. After investigating it, I found out that the installer only installed a single phase thermostat.

    Dash,
    Are you implying that I may not have the right GE ECM in the furnace to make the thermostat work? Could this be an additional cost to add the thermostat.

    No ,sorry for the confusion. It just that Carrier/Bryant,is the only one with the 2.5,and Infinity control itself is great,but you can't use it on another brand,as far as I know.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    68
    You can use the infinity stat on other applications you just aren't going to get the full value of it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Originally posted by wayner211
    You can use the infinity stat on other applications you just aren't going to get the full value of it.
    It only use 4 wires ,two for low voltage and two for digital signals,how can you use it on anything else,and if you could,what would you lose.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    68
    You are correct and I do appologize for giving false info. I dont know what I was thinking about.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fair Oaks Califorina
    Posts
    92
    What type Out-door unit do you have? If it is a Two speed-Go for the new T-stat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event