Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trane VS Rheem

Post Likes

Hmm

OK guys,

With both contractors being equal (both highly recommened)and priced in roughly the same ballpark, Trane slightly higher..

I am having to choose between:

All Trane XL19I system (2x3ton + 2.5ton) with 90% XV90 Furnaces
    OR
    Rheem Prestige (2x3ton 18 seer & 2 ton 16 seer) with 90% RGTA Furances

Located in Dallas, TX 3,400 Sq. Ft. Two Story Home

#1 concern is comfort and humidity control
    #2 long term performanace reliabilty
    #3 Economy of operation

You comments and suggestion are encouraged...

Post Likes
    You need a variable speed blower for the high SEER Rheem units. The RGTA is a standard furnace. Trane should be considerably higher if comparing an XV90 to these basic Rheems.

Now if you put the RGGD 13 stage Modulator against the 2 stage Trane, the Rheem will blow the choo choo away in COMFORT!!!!! plus give the performance & SEER the outside units are capable of. Also the 18 SEER 2 stage units really need a variable speed blower for best performance.

Post Likes
    Yes, Trane is 25%-30% more but after you factor in current rebates we are only talking about 14%-15%

I made the mistake choosing on "price" before and want to keep an open mind.

Each contractor was given the same list of concerns so it sounds like the Trane quote hit the mark and the Rheem vendor tweaked it on price VS performance?

Rheem bid shows RARL036JAZ as a 17.10 seer (not 18)but he teams them all up with RCQD2417AS 16 Seer Coils (now I'm confussed) Also quoting Honeywell tstats?

Also, would the DGGD units level the cost playing field VS the Trane.

Humidity Control is "BIG" here in Texas

PS: Any thoughts on adding humidity back in the winter?

Post Likes
    To compare like products you'd need to compare the Rheem RGGD (downflow) or RGFD (upflow) to the XV90 Tranes. Also, to get high SEER out of the quoted outdoor units, you would need a variable speed blower, either 80% or 90%.

The Rheem variable speed 90s have variable input, not just 2 stage like the XV90. They have a comfort that the 2 stage can't begin to offer.

With the 2 ton RARL, RGGD06 and RCHL24 coil, you end up with 16.45 SEER. The RCQD probably would rate a hair lower but isn't listed with the downflow 90. The RARL36 cannot be used with a 24 coil at all. With the RCQD36 and standard blower, you get 14.9 SEER. With the RGGD06 furnace and RCHL coil, it is 15.35 SEER.

So when getting a SEER rating on high end equipment, you need the outdoor unit, indoor coil and indoor blower to know for sure. Same with the XV90 and XL19i.

Are you cold enough in TX to justify using 90+ equipment?

Post Likes
    Once in while, but when I have asked about the differce in price from both groups I don't really see any great savings. Plus, don't fore see gas prices dropping, we are already being told by gas company to expect 50-75% increases this year...OUCH! So with the way things are in the Middle East thought it best to make the investment?

Going back to the Rheem dealer and asking some more question. Don't see to much Rheem out there, mostly Trane on all my neighbors homes...

Post Likes
    Tom, I think it would help to post the pics I took of your home and the load calc results. Someone here might have an idea that no one has seen yet. Might not answer the Rheem VS. Trane question though.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes

carestx

Originally posted by carestx
    Don't see to much Rheem out there, mostly Trane on all my neighbors homes...
    MARKETING LOL

Post Likes
    you will come closer to the rated seer with variable speed,
    keep in mind that rarely will you get the seer stamped on the unit. i would go with carrier infinity series that controls temperture,humidity and comfort.
    both trane and rheem will eat your savings when the condenser coil gets stopped up and because of the outer metel coil guard coils are hard to clean and keep clean.the trane evap coils are very tall and if your installing the furnace in a closet you better not have a coil leak which is very likely because youl have to remove the furnace to get the coil out and that means extra repair dollars waranty or not.
    youll also need the variable speed for better humidity removal and a hunidifier for winter humidity.

Post Likes
    GOOD POINT

No marketing intended, guess I need to give equal time to all the other mfg. out there? Or at least, all the ones in the Dallas market.

Post Likes
    Dont know if I misssed it or not..Was a load calculation done, 8 ton is a hunk of cooling...(Rule of thumb used in reading his post--equipment size/square footage ...)

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Since one of your cocerns is dehumidification,check out the Carrier Infinity.Use the search function on this site"Infinity" and see what other homeowners think of theirs.Many were here because they had a problem,most resolved and few or non due to the equipment ,usualy the design or install.So seek a great company to do the design and install,load calcs,etc.,regardless of the Brand you choose.

Post Likes
    carestx,
    I would like to know the names of the contractors you are looking at if you do not mind. I live in Rowlett and I am looking for contractors. Thanks, jmb

Post Likes
    You guys sound like a bunch of Salesmen...

Post Likes
    To respond to the load calc's, yes they have been done in past and they say 5 tons should work. If you want the whole story on my home, search site under CARESTX and read my old string "New Zoned System Trouble"

As for the new system quotes, I assume each of the groups I have had give me quotes has done their own load calculations and so far each has come back in between 7.5 and 8.5 tons.. Grant it, I am filling them in on the history of the old system as noted in Steve Wiggens post.

I will add a comment to the old string just to throw it back up on the board and in play.

As for the who am I using for bids, I would feel like I was promoting one over the other at it would be premature at this time to do so but will post a # if you would like to call me off site.

Can say that I have used the ACCA web site to start and cross reference "for what it's worth" the BBB site.

As this is my second time around and found this sight and it's members so usefull last time (see post) I place alot of trust in the comments received.

Please keep them coming...

Post Likes

Talking

Thanks for responding. Sorry should have thought about posting the names. Could you please sent it to my email qt257x@aol.com. Thanks, jmb

Post Likes
    The Trane XL19i systems are great systems. We have installed many of them in the Mid Cities area, and have no problems with them.

Trane dealer support and distributor support is 2nd to none in this area, and the outdoor units are all manufactured in Tyler, corporate headquarters are in Carrolton.

I'm not familiar with the Rheem 2 stage systems, but Rheem/Ruud equipment is generally among the best out there.

While I'm partial to Trane, it really does come down to who installs it, so go with the company you feal the most comforterable with the competence of.

Post Likes
    Rheem hands down
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Ok, Its fair to say anytime a high seer ac unit is matched with a 90+ of any sort, the efficiency numbers drop.

I do think you are better off with the RGGD. Clearly this owner is looking for pure comfort and top end stuff. The problem he has if looking for a counterflow unit is the matchups. The RCQC coil cannot be installed in a counterflow position. He would need to have a RCHL-36 coil matched with the RASL condensing unit. In this case he would expect to get SEER levels in the high 15s to 16. If on the other hand he is installing upflow, he would hit somewhere in the mid 17s. Unfortunately the mod is not yet availble in horizontal. If upflow or downflow, What he would get is a lifetime replacement warranty on the furnace. (Yes, if the heat exchanger ever fails he gets a new furnace). The outdoor unit would have a 5 year replacement warranty with a 10 year parts and compressor. Not to mention 13 stages of heat and if wired correctly, 4 stages of cooling. (most likly 2 stages otherwise). I have yet to see anything else like this anywhere.

Now for the other unit, the 16 SEER RARL his efficiencies would be still in the mid to high 15's and lower 16's with the mod. Personally in Texas, that seems like overkill so I would use the 80+ 2 stage VS for heat and take advantage of up to a point gain in SEER up to the 17's. And still have a cadillac.

I dont have the Trane info handy, maybe someone can post his specs for him.

Post Likes
    Best post yet, thank you...

Let me add, this are attic mounted units, most likely Horz. mounted but could go Vert.??? if needed?

Sounds like Rheem has a lot of fans out there............

We have a least 4 months some times 5 of heating. Problem in TX is you don't have much in the middle. Humidty (hot or cold) makes you turn one or the other on every season.

Blink and you miss Fall or Spring!

Not sold on 90% units but it just seems to make sense given the current energy market..trade off seems min.

Got a call into Rheem dealer to talk thru...both dealers have been extremly helpfull and both seem to stand behind their product line..

Post Likes
    Speaking as an owner of the Trane XL19i with VS airhandler, I went with Trane over Carrier becuase the Trane has a 2 stage dual compressor design, the Carrier is a dual stage single compressor design. The next criteria was the Trane condensor coils outlast the copper clad in aluminum coils here on the sea coast. Trane also has a 10 year warranty on all parts when installed as a system. Most other brands only have 10 yrs on the compressor with the remainder being 5 years.
    As far as dehumidification, being here in SE Fla, the Trane does an exceptional job. I sound like a broken record, but as compared to my previous unit, I can keep the thermo set at 79 and since the humidity is so low in the house most people feel I have the thermo set much lower. I have had this system a little over 2 years and cannot say enough about it. It has saved me $$ even with the utility rate hikes.
    As far as coil cleaning, it is not an issue the covers comes off real easy, and the Trane Spine Fin coil does not get half as dirty as my old copper clad in aluminum one did. My old system (Rheem) was a pain in the neck to get at the coils, you had to be real careful not to break the fan wires.
    Just saw the new Lennox system at a home show, they are using the same coil lovered cover as Trane has.

I cannot speak to the Trane furnaces but the AC unit with VS airhandler and EAC, has been nothing but pure comfort!
    I highly recommend it.
    No I am not affliated with any AC company or contractor!
    My only advice is make sure the contractor is competant enough to actually make sure your ductwork, and sizing is correct!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in