Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trane VS Rheem

Post Likes
    Speaking as an owner of the Trane XL19i with VS airhandler, I went with Trane over Carrier becuase the Trane has a 2 stage dual compressor design, the Carrier is a dual stage single compressor design. The next criteria was the Trane condensor coils outlast the copper clad in aluminum coils here on the sea coast. Read a study by a university and US Navy, the Trane spine fin coils that Trane uses provided more effeciency for a lot longer time frame than the copper coils clad in aluminum. The navy verified the life of the coil for corrosion against sea water and sea air.
    Trane also has a 10 year warranty on all parts when installed as a system. Most other brands only have 10 yrs on the compressor with the remainder being 5 years.
    As far as dehumidification, being here in SE Fla, the Trane does an exceptional job. I sound like a broken record, but as compared to my previous unit, I can keep the thermo set at 79 and since the humidity is so low in the house most people feel I have the thermo set much lower. I have had this system a little over 2 years and cannot say enough about it. It has saved me $$ even with the utility rate hikes.
    As far as coil cleaning, it is not an issue the covers comes off real easy, and the Trane Spine Fin coil does not get half as dirty as my old copper clad in aluminum one did. My old system (Rheem) was a pain in the neck to get at the coils, you had to be real careful not to break the fan wires.
    Just saw the new Lennox system at a home show, they are using the same coil lovered cover as Trane has.

I cannot speak to the Trane furnaces but the AC unit with VS airhandler and EAC, has been nothing but pure comfort!
    I highly recommend it.
    My only advice is make sure the contractor is competant enough to actually make sure your ductwork, and sizing is correct!

Post Likes
    I like Doc's suggestion of the 80+ two stage VS unit. I'd have a heat pump installed verses a straight AC because it will allow you to take advantage of the cheapest utility at the time. This season gas looks to be expensive so the heat pump will be your better option. Gas heat is more comfortable at lower outdoor temps so you always have the option of switching over. Since the gas heat will only be used in unusual situations for Texas and the heat exchanger is less restrictive on an 80+, I'd use the 80+ and Heat pump combo.
    P.S. I'm also a Rheem fan. Simple and quiet.

Post Likes
    Tom, will you be selling your Amana condensing furnace & 2 stage 16 SEER condensing 5 ton outdoor unit?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    This is not as easy as I thought, the more I learn the harder the deceison becomes.

OK, the 90% units have some draw backs, mainly effic. and price (a wash given Trane rebates)

Rheem has a lot of fans but it seems to center around their heating ability and furances...????

With AC being the big money drainer in Dallas the consenses so far seems to be to go 80+ with either system and max Seer % for the long term...

Trying to make my mind up this week as to take advantage of being between seasons so if anyone as any addtional input please share!

Post Likes
    I would consider the heatpump addition. It's normal ac in cooling that reverses in the winter. Costs al little more but gives you options

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in