Thread: Payne 90%

Hybrid View

I had a new furnace and AC installed by a good installer. It is great other than the fact when running AC their is some noise that is caused by the velocity of the air that sounds like a higher pitched sort of howl. When it runs on heat it is quieter than the old unit (blower is apparently runnning slower. What could be done to lower the noise? Someone suggested using one of those higher density filters (3M,etc) when running on AC.

Originally posted by tim50
    Someone suggested using one of those higher density filters (3M,etc) when running on AC.
    Yep, that'll kill it as quick as anything!

Have the installing company back to either properly set-up the unit or to correct your ducting issues.

Originally posted by jultzya
    Originally posted by tim50
    Someone suggested using one of those higher density filters (3M,etc) when running on AC.
    Yep, that'll kill it as quick as anything!

Have the installing company back to either properly set-up the unit or to correct your ducting issues.

Are you suggesting that the high density filter is not a good option?

The duct was already existing before they installed it. It was a replacement. Could we slow down the blower motor?

Forget the filter.

You can't start changing blower speeds until someone can verify whether it is wrong or not.

Have the HVAC Company out to inspect the system and to find out WHY it is noisy.

It could be the blower, it could be the ductwork. But one thing is a fact, we can't see it, and you don't possess the equipment needed to perform the required testing to determine the actual problem.

Another fact is, if you start messing with the system yourself you could create other problems that could lead you down the path of an EXPENSIVE repair.

I know that is the last thing you want, so that is the reason I'm heading you towards your HVAC Company.

no argument

Originally posted by jultzya
    Forget the filter.

You can't start changing blower speeds until someone can verify whether it is wrong or not.

Have the HVAC Company out to inspect the system and to find out WHY it is noisy.

It could be the blower, it could be the ductwork. But one thing is a fact, we can't see it, and you don't possess the equipment needed to perform the required testing to determine the actual problem.

Another fact is, if you start messing with the system yourself you could create other problems that could lead you down the path of an EXPENSIVE repair.

I know that is the last thing you want, so that is the reason I'm heading you towards your HVAC Company.

Blower motors have changed alot over the years. Don't start playing with the speeds. Have the company come back and check it out. Ductwork, speeds, return grills, etc.

no argument

No argument - I am not going to mess with it. Just want to be informed. Could that blower assembly be substandard or prone to create that noise or is it more likely an air flow issue? I realize you haven't look at it.