Cleveland steam generator - it's been bastardized

mod # 24CGA10

My first call on a steam oven today...water is flooding the oven. Look at the wiring diagram and there is a water probe assembly with three wires and a water board. I look at the unit and there is a float with 4 wires coming out of it. Follow the wires to where the water board used to be. I tried to make sense of it but could not. I recommended replacing the water probe assembly and water board.

Looked up the service manual and parts manual on Cleveland's website. The service manual shows the wiring diagram that is on the unit. The parts manual shows the wiring diagram that is on the unit...as well as a wiring diagram for a unit that has the float assembly that was installed in the unit I was working on. The float was not wired up the way it shows in the wiring diagram.

Any idea why somebody would do this? A well known food equipment contractor in Vancouver has been doing all the work at this customer until today.

Quote Originally Posted by fv_tom View Post
    mod # 24CGA10

My first call on a steam oven today...water is flooding the oven. Look at the wiring diagram and there is a water probe assembly with three wires and a water board. I look at the unit and there is a float with 4 wires coming out of it. Follow the wires to where the water board used to be. I tried to make sense of it but could not. I recommended replacing the water probe assembly and water board.

Looked up the service manual and parts manual on Cleveland's website. The service manual shows the wiring diagram that is on the unit. The parts manual shows the wiring diagram that is on the unit...as well as a wiring diagram for a unit that has the float assembly that was installed in the unit I was working on. The float was not wired up the way it shows in the wiring diagram.

Any idea why somebody would do this? A well known food equipment contractor in Vancouver has been doing all the work at this customer until today.
    That's really tough to say without seeing how its been wired. I've worked on these Cleveland Steamers a few times. They too were serviced by a very well known Vancouver food equipment company. You could try calling a tech at Cleveland. It sounds like you've got the problem figured out though. Keep us updated.

It sounds like someone converted it. The float controls water and heat. The pair of black wires coming out of it is the bottom float that is normally open. The pair of red wires is the upper float that is normally closed. The upper float can hang up and over fill the tank causing flooding of the oven. You can visually inspect that to see if it is the case. If the float is stuck closed after it is in the up position you will get flooding. You can check for voltage at the fill solenoid or relay depending how it is wired. The last possibly would be your fill solenoid is stuck or corroded open. You can disconnect the out line of the solenoid when the machine is off to see if there is water coming out.

The top float was not stuck, and there was always voltage at the fill solenoid. I'm pretty sure the normally closed switch for the top float was the problem. It was really hard to diagnose since those wires from the float weren't on the wiring diagram. We'll see what happens once we get the parts...from the well known food equipment service company.

What parts? Float assy or relay?

The correct parts the unit came with...the water board and water probe asembly.

I put in the water board and water probe assembly. Worked like a charm.