Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ice machine in a Subway restaurant

There are many factors that could influence the recommended ice machine cleaning interval in a Subway restaurant, such as climate, water quality/filtration, and store volume. I have a customer that won't clean his ice machine more frequently than every 3 months and he isn't willing to purchase anything else to help keep the ice machines clean (I recommended an IceZone). Based on the circumstances at this particular Subway, cleanings at every 5 weeks are certainly warranted.

Just curious how frequent you need to clean ice machines in your neck of the woods.

Yuck! 3 months!!!

That's it. I vow to never use ice from a commercial ice machine again in my life.

Make an anonymous call to the Dept. of Health.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrk8r View Post
    Yuck! 3 months!!!

That's it. I vow to never use ice from a commercial ice machine again in my life.

Make an anonymous call to the Dept. of Health.
    I just can't understand this guy. I've tried to explain it to him that it would be much cheaper for him in the long run to let me come in every 5 weeks to do a "normal" cleaning, instead of doing a tear-down every 3 months.

Trust me, I'd rather eat the lent in my pocket than try anything from this place, after learning what the standards are.

5 weeks is probably in his mind unnecessary because of the $$$ ... I've tried various products over the years that claim to inhibit slime & was pretty disappointed with all .... but to answer your question i used to do them every 4-6 months with inhibitors in place or as needed if I seen things getting bad ..... consumers don't seem to understand a clean machine is less likely to have production issues .. if I encounter a service call where the obvious failure like an electrical component isn't the issue & I have to monitor it I tell them I NEED TO CLEAN THE MACHINE properly to proceed

Subway shop ice machines certainly can get slimy. I'm beginning to wonder if some decent ventilation of the space might help.

I have one which is located inside a convenience store. It has two Hoshizaki KM500's which do get pretty nasty, but not as quickly as some I've seen. The bigger problem I experienced in this location has been a very aggressive corrosion of anything copper...and more specifically the brazed joints.

In the past 5 years, I've had to replace most of the liquid lines for the walk-in cooler (which are run in the attic space), replaced the condenser coil on the back counter cooler, the condenser on the 3-door reach-in freezer, rebrazed at least a dozen joints on the ice machines & the front counter prep unit and replaced the evaporator coil in one of their two 6 ton Trane Voyager rooftops (The other one is now showing pinhole leaks).

They all get this black, sooty corrosion on all the copper and the brazed joint appear to be attacked first...then the copper itself. It looks a lot like formicary type corrosion, but I don't know for sure. I suspect it's all coming from the bread baking which belches out steam all day long.

I've suggested to the owner the attic space should have some form of ventilation above the insulated ceiling as there currently is no provision for it. I also proposed to install an exhaust fan above the bread operation to capture the emission from that before it spreads throughout the store, but it seems he'd rather continue spending money on the repairs and not a possible permanent fix. Go figure.

I drink coffee when I go out to eat.
    I know of only one place in my town that I have worked at which cleans its ice machines each month and sanitizes the bin.
    And I do not believe the health inspectors look inside them, because I have seen places with grade A scores with ice machines that look, both in the bin and the water tubes, like something out of a cesspool.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    ...And I do not believe the health inspectors look inside them, because I have seen places with grade A scores with ice machines that look, both in the bin and the water tubes, like something out of a cesspool.
    I've told customers many times...only half-jokingly...they will regret the day their Inspector attends a seminar on how to use a screwdriver.

some end users are in belief that ice machine maintenance is as simple as flipping the switch over to clean now & again . . .

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I've told customers many times...only half-jokingly...they will regret the day their Inspector attends a seminar on how to use a screwdriver.
    LOL Ice
    Cleaning a machine is easy enough a place could/should do it ... often!!!!!
    When you look at how often they clean other things in a restaurant it really is ridiculous.
    I hate cleaning ice machines (no offense cleaner )
    Call me for the repair and I'm happy
    They never like paying for me to clean but never figure it out until next time

A see thru front cover would put a stop to the nonsense
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Subway shop ice machines certainly can get slimy. I'm beginning to wonder if some decent ventilation of the space might help.

I have one which is located inside a convenience store. It has two Hoshizaki KM500's which do get pretty nasty, but not as quickly as some I've seen. The bigger problem I experienced in this location has been a very aggressive corrosion of anything copper...and more specifically the brazed joints.

In the past 5 years, I've had to replace most of the liquid lines for the walk-in cooler (which are run in the attic space), replaced the condenser coil on the back counter cooler, the condenser on the 3-door reach-in freezer, rebrazed at least a dozen joints on the ice machines & the front counter prep unit and replaced the evaporator coil in one of their two 6 ton Trane Voyager rooftops (The other one is now showing pinhole leaks).

They all get this black, sooty corrosion on all the copper and the brazed joint appear to be attacked first...then the copper itself. It looks a lot like formicary type corrosion, but I don't know for sure. I suspect it's all coming from the bread baking which belches out steam all day long.

I've suggested to the owner the attic space should have some form of ventilation above the insulated ceiling as there currently is no provision for it. I also proposed to install an exhaust fan above the bread operation to capture the emission from that before it spreads throughout the store, but it seems he'd rather continue spending money on the repairs and not a possible permanent fix. Go figure.
    Are they using spray foam insulation instead of fiberglass ?

Quote Originally Posted by Little NATE View Post
    Are they using spray foam insulation instead of fiberglass ?
    No. Just fiberglass on top of the suspended ceiling.

I do not get ice EVER in a drink or bag outside of my home, and most of the time not at home either.
    Funny how people get sick on the food and never think of the glass/cup of ice they just crunched down

6 Months between cleanings is what the company I work for practices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast