Hello people,

I stumbled onto this site while googling for information.
    Seems like a friendly place; hope you won't mind a couple of questions.

I used to have a drum humidifier on the furnace (General Aire model 81) which served me faithfully until it broke about a year ago. The house is about 2,500 sq.ft. and I could get the humidity to 40% with no problems.

As a replacement, a friend recommended the flow-through Wait 6000, which I installed.

The problem is that the new humidifier does not seem to get the job done. Last winter, I could not get the humidity above 15% although the humidistat was set to max and the humidifier was turning on and off with the furnace.

I spent some time on the phone with Air King support and it seems that everything was installed and operating as intended. Except the results

So, I need to replace the humidifier with a model that will do the job and I have some questions:

Is this a general problem with the flow-through humidifiers or did I just get a crappy (or underpowered) model?

Should I go back to a drum model? I was quite happy with the one that I had, except that the hard water tended to petrify the sponge after one season.

What's the deal with the flow-through anyway? They seem less water-efficient.

In any case, what models would be recommended?

Thank you very much for your time,
    Alex.

[Edited by alexo on 10-11-2005 at 08:55 PM]

you need to determine what your latent requirements are during the heat season. Don't know where you are located, but here in the Ohio valley, we (I) like to keep the relative humidity around 45% in the winter time. 15% would be low anywhere! Drum type is a service nightmare which you have already discovered, and you cannot control evaporation because of the reservoir. You need to determine based on your home's requirements what the capacity is that you need to achieve the desired level. Also depends on the type of heat. Electric or heat pumps are going to be drier than fossil fuel, such as lp gas, natural gas or fuel oil. Draw through type or fan powered types usually work quite well, and the fact that they cycle on and off with the heating prevents unnecessary water flow when you don't need it. If installed properly and properly sized, a flow-through type should do the job with a minimum amount of water use . Have a qualified contractor inspect your system and provide you with their recommendations. Some additional information would help as well such as the type of system it is on, is it on the supply or return, do you have more than one main trunkline from the indoor unit, etc.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

you went from 18 gpd to 12 gpd humidifier sizes. me thinks you need a BIGGER one