Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: York vs. Heil

You will not be sorry with the Heil. Installed many and it is a quality furnace with both the primary and secondary heat exchangers made of stainless steel with lifetime warranties. Very simple, trouble-free controls. You may want to have the installer pull the condensate trap after about two or three weeks of operation and have him flush it out. They get a grease-like residue from the production process of the heat exchanger metals and it builds up. Most times it will flush through during normal operations, but I have had a couple plug up. After that...no problem!
    Lynn

I'm a Tempstar dealer, same as Heil and am partial to them. Sizing is one the more important issues, Have a load calc done. I'm not sure where you're located. I live in the Buffalo NY area so we do get some winter, my home is a 1400 sq ft home and I have the 50,000 btu model. Home is about 25 years old. Have a load calc done and don't guess at size.

I'll make sure I talk to the guy about the size. I have an old Lennox G8 in there now, and I checked the specs on it and it says it has a 110,000 btu/hour input capacity, and an 88,000 bonnett capacity. Does this mean it is an 88,000 btu furnace? If so, are the furnaces now just better at what they do and that is why a lower btu rating is needed? I was told by a Lennox dealer that the fans are stronger in the newer units than my old unit, is that the reason? These are probably obvious things to those of you in the business, but I am trying to rid myself of at least some ignorance. Thanks.

Originally posted by vckbdc
    I'll make sure I talk to the guy about the size. I have an old Lennox G8 in there now, and I checked the specs on it and it says it has a 110,000 btu/hour input capacity, and an 88,000 bonnett capacity. Does this mean it is an 88,000 btu furnace? If so, are the furnaces now just better at what they do and that is why a lower btu rating is needed? I was told by a Lennox dealer that the fans are stronger in the newer units than my old unit, is that the reason? These are probably obvious things to those of you in the business, but I am trying to rid myself of at least some ignorance. Thanks.
    With your old furnace, you buy 110,000 btus, but get only 88,000 to heat your house.
    Quite a bit goes out the vent.
    Gas furnaces have an AFUE rating.
    That's the efficiency rating.

It's more than just fan speed. Most new furnaces have a draft induction fan motor to force combustion air into the heat exchanger. It works similar to a "supercharger" on a race car. It doesn't make it faster. It helps squeeze the heat energy out of the fuel. Also, the heat exchanger has been optimized to transfer more of the heat into the conditioned space. If it is a 90% (or more) efficient furnace, it will have a secondary heat exchanger to remove even more heat from the products of combustion.

Gas furnaces must be vented to the outdoors, in order to lessen the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Your old furnace is vented with metal pipe to withstand the high temperatures of the waste gases.

If you replace it with a 90% (or higher) AFUE furnace, then it will be vented with plastic pipe. This is made possible by the very effective process of harvesting the heat from the waste gases.

I hope this helps.

yes, that does help explain things. Thanks.

Well, I got everything installed and everythng seems to be working just fine. The new unit puts out substantially more air than the old, and that is a good thing. The fit and finish on the equipment looks very good, and my installer did neat and very professional looking job on the system. I turned my heat on for the first time this morning, and other than the expected "new furnace burnoff smell" absolutely no problems. Now after I take the time to figure out the programmable thermostat I'll be set.
    A final Thanks for everyone's expert advise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12