Thread: Goodman quality

I am about to install new HP and furnace -between York and Goodman. Any suggestions, good or bad? thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    What model numbers ,they both make more than one.

The design and installation can make or break either brand, so the contractor is the most important part of the equation.

Bobby

This is a sensitive subject around here....I dont know why, I mean we are entitiled to our own opinion but there are some (ok one) who has a strong affinity for goodman and takes it personal when anyone makes a negative comment about the company.....maybe he is the CEO or something I dont know.

I have said it before and I will say it again...I do not like goodman, I would never install one, nor would I have one in my own house. I think there are alot of people on this website who will agree but they are probably afraid of being attacked by the person mentioned above.

Goodman has a reputation for being the cheapest furnace in the industry. What is interesting is that the above named person will tell you that the reputation and problems associated with the company is largely due to bad installs. For some reason the company draws the biggest idiots in the industry. But its really no suprise. Goodman does not have any technical training, buisness training, technical support,etc. York does. See a reputable company will offer training to their dealers so that the dealers do a good job installing the equipment. If our friend wants to place all of the blame on the installers, then maybe Goodman should be training the installers. Once the installers are trained properly, then they should have access to technical support should they run into a jam. Any reputable company will give you that. Not goodman...I was servicing a goodman furnace one day and I was looking for blower performance data (of course its not printed on the inside of the blower door compartment...they are too ashamed to put their name on the product let alone techincal date) so I tried to get this data from a goodman distributor..what a joke. So if you dont have training,or technical support, than how can you blame the idiots that mess up the installation. Any well trained tech would not put up with this and choose not to deal with them..thus all you are left with are idiots.

They will talk about their one and only patent....that amana earned not goodman. You see Amana (which is actually a decent product) and Goodman merged together and now Goodman is using Amana's heat exchanger and bragging about how they have the best heat exchanger on the market blah blah balh. Then they will tell that they have the beat warranty in the buisness, but like I said on another post look at Honda, they offer 3yrs/36,000 miles and Hyundai has a 10yrs/100,00 miles. Why doesnt Honda do that? they dont have to, they have a good product.

So to answer your question I would go with york because Goodman is garbage and the people installing them are usually undertrained weekend warriors looking to make a quick buck.... But thats just my opinion.

Dave in NJ

[Edited by smadave on 10-11-2005 at 09:45 PM]

I have installed a ton of Luxair.which is also york and i can say the product is good. I really like the top of the line custom painted models.......SWEET!

http://www.yorkupg.com/affinity/intro.htm

[Edited by Freezeking2000 on 10-11-2005 at 04:59 PM]
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Looks like somebody already beat me here.

Talking

yes i did