Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hvac Contractor On Every Corner

42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    Post Likes
    I live in the city of Philadlephia, Pa. Years ago The people of Philly used to say, there is one on every corner. Back then they were referring to bars.

Now, I am saying that there is one on Every Corner. But I am not talking about bars. I'm talking about HVAC contractors.

Within a miles radious of my home there must be an hvac contractor on every corner or block. On one block there are three hvac contractors where I live. 90% of the small contractors work out of their home.

Where I live it is so saturated with hvac contractors that I don't know how some of these guys make a living. There is so much compition it's not funny. Yes, I know ther are lot of heaters and air conditioners, but there are too many contractors. In fact a couple tech school stopped teaching HVAC clases. I guess there are so many that the newer students can't get jobs.

I started a business last year and it is very, very hard to make a living anymore. Does anyone else see this problem.

Post Likes
    I see it, but not as a problem.

Post Likes
    Would you say in your area that equipment was more available to purchase (by anyone) now or back then?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    Try Houston Texas. I think just about everyone knows someone in the A/C business.
    Saddle Up!

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    There are 3 HVAC shops in my same complex besides me. Probably close to a dozen (that I know of) in 2 blocks on my street.
    If you are lowballing bids- these are the guys you are competing with. If you offer quality service & installs- the cream rises to the top.
    Don't work in the bottom of the barrel.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by precision hvac
    If you offer quality service & installs- the cream rises to the top.
    It won't ever happen when the barrell is full of holes.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    What holes are you reffering to?

Post Likes
    It does if you know how to plug the holes.

Post Likes
    The holes are the lack of enforcement in the rules. Plugging the holes is the answer but most would rather keep filling the barrell.

Post Likes
    Good analagy.

Post Likes
    The holes are the lack of enforcement in the rules. Plugging the holes is the answer but most would rather keep filling the barrell.
    Dang, that's depressing. The whole world is too darn competitive. Did you all here about Delphi declaring bankruptcy? There are saying there is a 30% chance of GM being next!!!

Post Likes
    Oh give me a break Steve! We got the same story where I live. You can see them in the supply house and in the newspapers.

I used to to get stuff from customer when I advertised and tried to compete with these guys thinking I had to match their prices.

I said fug it, quit the paper and RAISED my prices drastically from what theey were.

Found out my prices were where they SHOULD be when I did increase them. Before they just too low.

Now I get the better customers by word of mouth.

Post Likes

42yr

I've worked in phila for 37+ yr's if you are talking about the resi replacement market,or the lite commercial replacement market when was the last time you pulled a permit for a changeout.

Ah never???? there's your answer!

Do you have a Warm Air license ??. Probably not

If you do I know that 90+ % of your competitors don't.

That is the problem in the HVAC industry in PHILA today, but the city seems to be addressing these issues.

[Edited by pjs on 10-11-2005 at 08:36 PM]

Post Likes
    Also in Philly area, yeah there are alot guys out there,some started at our place. I had my own place and sold it to Conectiv a few years back.The vo-tech that we all went to closed down HVAC(it uses the room for computer courses)I tend to think that I am better off working for a large HVAC company and having a life.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by 42yrs exp
    I live in the city of Philadlephia, Pa. Years ago The people of Philly used to say, there is one on every corner. Back then they were referring to bars.

Now, I am saying that there is one on Every Corner. But I am not talking about bars. I'm talking about HVAC contractors.

Move to an affluent neighborhood.You won't find to many there.

Post Likes
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has to deal with a lot of people with walmartitis. I to have been saying no more often and charging the right price and if I work less but make the same it's better for me.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tim fox
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has to deal with a lot of people with walmartitis. I to have been saying no more often and charging the right price and if I work less but make the same it's better for me.
    Speaking of walmart, they are getting into the hvac business as well. I have, and others in my region have received letters of invitation to become part of the walmart program.

They will be using Fedders brand furnaces, and their program will be based somewhat on the home depot.

Post Likes

They are like ants!!!!, All over the place.

It's become so rediculous that the price of service is down to $35.00 here in Orlando,Fl.How are we to make an HONEST living???.

42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    Post Likes

To pjs-

Pjs, what planet do you come from. How the freak can you make such redicilous statements about someone you know nothing about! Boy are you arrogant.

I have 46 years experience and was in the 420 Steam Fitters union where they taught me, at a very young age, to do it right, AND THAT INCLUDES PULLING A PERMIT.

I have pulled a permit on evey heating Job I ever did.
    I have the City of Philadelphia's Gas installers License.
    I have all my NATE certifications.
    Two published bookes in the business,(sold nationwide)
    63 years old and still working with the tools.
    Run my Own Corporation.

Taught HVAC in Vocational High School, 2 years.
    Taught HVAC in Private Tech school,2 years
    Taught HVAC in Community College of Philadlephia, 1 year
    Taught HVAC in Industry (Septa-Training Instructor-HVAC)12 years.

You're listed as a professional member, well you ought to
    be ashamed of yourself. It's people like you that make statements about somehting you know absolutley nothing about,that give this business a bad name. I bet your one of those people who bad mouth your competitors in order to make yourself look good.

This summer I installed two complete attic systems, with no help whatsoever. Figure that one out. When you catch up to me,let me know. 63and still going strong.

[Edited by 42yrs exp on 10-12-2005 at 12:00 AM]

Post Likes

Re: To pjs-

Originally posted by 42yrs exp
    I have pulled a permit on evey heating Job I ever did.
    But did you call for and get a final?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in