I've recently purchased and had installed a 5 ton Carrier Infinity System. I live in Florida and have the control system set to 56% humidity and 77 degrees during the day. I've noticed the air handler runs almost all the time...mostly in low speed. It will kick up to high speed occasionally but I have hardly ever noticed it turn off. It is always mostly in low speed. The air handler is an FE4 and the compressor is a TDB.
    Is this nominal? How can I expect to save on my electricity bill if this unit never turns off? Any help would be appreciated. Contractor and Carrier personnell are clueless on these infinity systems.

This is normal operation. It does this to establish optimum comfort. The motor is DC and uses less energy than a 60 watt bulb. Its best to have it run constant. They are designed to do this.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Thanks, Coolwhip. The motor may be inexpensive to run but the outside condensor is always on also (probably in low speed) when the air handler is running. Wouldn't this be expensive? Or does the compressor turn off sometimes if the air handler is still on?

compressor should turn off when the temp. is satisfied.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Very common questions,we have sold hundreds of them and we don't always get the message to the customer.

Fan shuts of when compressor is off,unless you punched the button to keep it running.I think that would be the "top right" button.

Your two speed running in low uses around half the electricity as high,so cost wise it's like running in high 50% of the time,when it runs 100% of the time.

There could be a probelm ,but it doesn't sound like there is,check your first full months bill and compoare to last years,call if you don't see a decrease.

Where are you in Florida,the distributer should be up to speed.

How low is the %RH and indoor temp?

Is it the same size as the old unit, or was it up sized?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I have the humity control set to 56% and the temp to 76. As I type this email, the system is at 76, humidity is reading 50% and the unit is running in low speed and the compressor is on.

I previously had a matched 5 ton Goodman. This Infinity is a 5 ton also.

Thanks again for your inputs. I just talked to my contractor and he said the system is just trying to stabilize the temperature and the humity and even suggested the compressor may be turning off while the air handler is on. I doubt this and I also doubt he knows what he's talking about.

It sounds like you need a PhD to understand these Infinity systems.

PhD? Not hardly.

You have a 2.5 ton compressor running. It is maintaining the temperature in your structure. Since it's not running at full capacity, it will run and run and run. However, it will use less power than starting and stopping a 5 ton compressor.

I see that it is 84 in Miami and 80 in Orlando. Your unit should be running in low stage to maintain temperature. Once the temperatures start dropping, you will see the outdoor unit deenergize.

However as long as the temperature is 80ish, the unit will run on low stage.