Thread: Heat Pump a wise choice?

Post Likes
    I visited the Bryant dealer this afternoon, he's coming out Friday. While I started out with high efficiency furnace in mind as discussed in the other thread, he was strongly touting a heat pump. Now I'm probably out of date thinking a heat pump is not wise in our climate, the posts here seem to agree with my dealer. I realize I still need another heat source, but it's thrown more options into the mix.

I currently pay $.0759 a kWh for electric, and my most recent gas cost was $.927 plus $.0169 distribution, though probably not for long. My last winter's bills are being mailed so I'm not sure of my actual usage as yet but a couple of you indicated the numbers above would provide enough ammunition to sell posters on heat pumps.

Of course that then brings up whether I may be better off keeping my current 100K 80% gas furnace as the dual fuel, at least for now, or go ahead and replace the furnace as well. While of course he couldn't give me a quote until he's been here, he would give me a ballpark comparison between furnace and furnace with heatpump. That's roughly double.

I'm certainly not averse to spending the increased upfront costs if it will give me a payback within a reasonable amount of time. I don't intend to move for some time, if at all, so that is not a factor.

Post Likes
    Please search my handle and "heat pump". You will get a tremendous amount of info. Some of the cost comparisons are close to your figures.

After looking around, ask your questions and we'll go from there. Deal?

Post Likes
    Sounds good Jultzya. I'll search now.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Jultzya,

I'm finding a lot of your posts, and many with HP info, but I don't find anything with that type of info. But I do know I don't want to ask efficiency comparisons between an 80 and 90, especially if there's a question of how much of that outputs gets into the ducts or now.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    You can try this one for opcosts http://www.bayareacool.com/opcost.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in