Thread: Exhaust Fan

Hi Guys,

I have an open fire pit inside of a shelter at my hunting camp. I just finished building the pit out of stone and I had a tin man make a hood and pipe it out the roof for me. The pit is circular and about 4' across, the hood is square and slightly larger. The pipe going out is 16" round and 20' long.

I put my first fire in it the other night and the natural draft wasn't enough to exhaust the smoke. The shelter began filling with smoke and we had to put the fire out and get the hell outta there. It was clear that I have to come up with something to pull that smoke up the pipe.

I was talking with the tin guy who intalled it and he figures that it needs a heat tolerant fan that'll pull about 3800 cfm to get rid of the smoke. I think that sounds excessive but I don't know much about sizing these things... My cost on the fan is about $1,700 so that is also discouraging.

What do you guys think that I could rig up in order to make this thing work? Is it necessary to have a high heat tolerant fan? How many CFM?

Thanks! Mike

Talking

The range can vary, depends how muuch wood you throw on there. Have you contacted the red green show and asked them.

Remember, you will also need to bring fresh air into the building as well.

[Edited by coolwhip on 10-10-2005 at 05:31 PM]
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Yeah I'm a redneck.

Thumbs down unlisted steel vent

Using a single walled steel pipe for a solid fuel chimney is not recognized by any code. Open pit-type fireplaces are the most difficult to get to exhaust properly to start with. Before you burn the place down or kill someone with CO poisoning, why don't you contact a local hearth professional to do it correctly and tell the Tin Man you want your money back? There are high temp. exhaust fans on the market but they require electricity to run. What if the power goes out? Too many variables for someone to advise you over the Internet except to get professional help before someon wakes up dead. BTW, at 3800 CFM, don't let any small children near that hood or they might get sucked up out of the bldg.

Why not install a nice TV and run a loop tape showing a fire?

Smile

Originally posted by dixie2005

Yeah I'm a redneck.

I believe that the Red Green show is Canookian. You are a Canook right?
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Allright Hearthman, thanks for the advice. It's just a rain shelter where the fire pit is located. Nobody will ever be sleeping in there because there's a fully equipped hunting camp 50' away from it.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    go and talk to the local Indians, they might be able to help you...