Lightbulb

There has to be a formula to estimate heating oil usage but I can't find it. Something containing degree days, square footage... Does anyone know how to estimate usage?

Nate

Super scientific way....look at last years oil bill and double it.

Sounds like alot of variables.....gph of furnace,load calculation of house,cycles per hour,etc.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Super scientific is great and exactly what I want - I'm an engineer. Also, this is a brand new house so I can't refer to last year's bill. Thanks.

Originally posted by nsmith666
    There has to be a formula to estimate heating oil usage but I can't find it. Something containing degree days, square footage... Does anyone know how to estimate usage?
    Nate
    Are you contracting the fuel ahead to avoid the increase in price? If not, there is no way you can predict the weather; records of past mean temperature records-probably, predict average wind velocities - maybe, average sunny or cloudy days - maybe. From whatever documented information you can get from the weather bureau, or other sources, you still have to figure the Btuh demand for each 24-hour day!

Did you get a heat loss, and a blower door test for air infiltration, done? You would need that information to begin to estimate the average Btuh usage for each day, or week.

Heating oil on average delivers 140,000-Btuh per gallon.
    Have the oil pump pressure checked and if possible set at 100-psig.
    The actual oil delivery to the burner will depend on the GPH rating of the delivery nozzle @ 100-psig or a higher oil delivery pressure, you can get that information, from that specific oil burner's chart.

It might be fun for you but it will end-up being a ball-park estimate. Good luck. Darrell

Originally posted by nsmith666
    Super scientific is great and exactly what I want - I'm an engineer. Also, this is a brand new house so I can't refer to last year's bill. Thanks.
    Then calculate the heat loss of your home and research degree days
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

How big of a home and where r u located?
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Start with this article and then use it as the basis for figuring out the same with oil. I wrote the following article and have simply not had time to do the same for oil heat.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=44860

buy a tank of oil now, lock in the price for the season -- the oil company will track your usage, deliver timely -- at least, they could do that in the late 1950s!

Ask the Contractor who installed your system for the design info, including the load calculated. If they did it by sq ft, shame. Then, you had best do the load calc available from this site ~$50.

you can ask one of the oil companies, or elec co for last yr DD [degree days], better is to ask for the ave DD.

harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!