Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    use to do large constuction start ups with Trane in at 7AM mint parking midtown...hour lunch on the 59th street bridge by 3:30PM or maybe even earlier
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by Packg23 View Post
    I haven't read the new handbook maxster but sounds like a bunch of pish if you ask me.. I was gone from 638 for 2 years. I come back and office visit co-pay went from $5 to $30 and ER Co-pay went from $35 to $100. Doesn't look like scale jumped up much either. Most shop stewards in 638 shops are nothing but titles and extra cash in the pocket. I think HVAC techs need their OWN union in NY to be successful or you get these new stupid new rules like 1 hour lunch lol. I rarely take 30min lunch and work 7-3:30 on a normal day. I think It comes down to if your company makes you take the hour or they know your a good worker and will put in your 8 hours a day regardless.. I think this rule was made by owners to keep techs in the city longer imo.. Its the usual thing.. who cares about the techs.. its all about the pipefitters type union and will always be until we get a union of our own...
    Guys here in AZ and NM have be asking for HVACR Locals! Combination Locals are no good, Plumbing Combo Locals are even worse.

Until the B man stands up for himself, he has no voice. The B men are too apathetic to even vote in local elections. You don't vote, you don't exist to the local, except to collect dues. B men just accept the way it is, but it doesn't have to be that way.
    Things will change when you get a B guy to run and get 4-500 to bullet vote for him. In other words, only vote for him, nobody else. You will definately get the attention of the union and progressive change can come. Unless that happens you can gripe about the rules all you want, nothing will change.

And when the current regime gets wind of someone making a run- the people trying it have to tell others to gather votes, and someone in that group *will* spill the beans to the current regime for personal gain.

When people in my local speak up, or run in an election, work can get really hard to find for some reason, so very few will do it. Change is an illusion.

As far as working hours go, something close to 8 to 5 is stipulated in the contract. Actual working hours are decided by those working, unless the customer needs dictate otherwise.

This doesn't apply to 638 B in NYC. The B guys work for the company, not the union. I've seldom heard of a 638 delegate get a guy a job, and have never heard of one getting a guy fired. It's a situation ripe for change, if the guys stand up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Packg23 View Post
    I haven't read the new handbook maxster but sounds like a bunch of pish if you ask me.. I was gone from 638 for 2 years. I come back and office visit co-pay went from $5 to $30 and ER Co-pay went from $35 to $100. Doesn't look like scale jumped up much either. Most shop stewards in 638 shops are nothing but titles and extra cash in the pocket. I think HVAC techs need their OWN union in NY to be successful or you get these new stupid new rules like 1 hour lunch lol. I rarely take 30min lunch and work 7-3:30 on a normal day. I think It comes down to if your company makes you take the hour or they know your a good worker and will put in your 8 hours a day regardless.. I think this rule was made by owners to keep techs in the city longer imo.. Its the usual thing.. who cares about the techs.. its all about the pipefitters type union and will always be until we get a union of our own...
    FYI- Health insurance has been going in the toilet for the rest of us since about the early 90's, union or not. The stronger(richer) unions just haven't felt it as much, more power to you though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12