Swimming Pool Heater/Cooler .....Help

Hi all...

To all the people who are familiar with Swimming pool heater/cooler...

We have a Swimming pool heater..which works on refrigeration principle have R22 as refrigerant...

The problem we are facing is earlier we had installed a 15 ton unit at a site.. and it was working perfectly heating and cooling the pool water....Now due to some reason the unit was kept OFF and when we went to the site and did the re-commissioning, the unit started but was not effective..

The main parts of our Pool heater are as

Flow switch
    Compressors
    Heat exchangers(Shells and coils)
    expansion valve
    evaporator fins and tubes
    Low pressure switch
    High pressure switch
    Accumulator

The water pressure is fine and can activate the Flow switch...The standard reading for our compressor are as 65 for suction and nearly 300 for discharge... Now the readings are 40 at suction and 250 at discharge....

Thinking that Pool Heater needs refrigerant we added to it(nearly two cylinders)... but the issue is that the addition of the R22 doesn't affect any readings i.e. suction or discharge... and there is an ice formation on the walls of the compressor...and accumulator.

Since this is a 15 ton unit we have two compressors in it. Addition of a gas to one compressor as mentioned above has no effect and other compressor is cutoff after working intially for some time...

Please suggest some solution...

Quote Originally Posted by shahnaimath View Post
    Thinking that Pool Heater needs refrigerant we added to it(nearly two cylinders)... but the issue is that the addition of the R22 doesn't affect any readings i.e. suction or discharge... and there is an ice formation on the walls of the compressor...and accumulator.
    What is your trade?

The iced up compressor and accumulator should be a HUGE clue that something is very wrong with your system's refrigeration circuit.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

You need a pro to work on that system for you. You could make a very costly mistake trying to figure this out on your own. Make a phone call and save yourself some serious headaches.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

You need a good tech to come out before you wipe out a new compressor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Do not run those compressors considering what you just did. Call someone who is familiar with that make of pool heater.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

50 lbs. of freon? Wow. While I'm not familiar with this equipment. It sure seems like a lot considering the pressures he had and tonnage. Obviously something isn't right. Best to call out a pro. Sounds like apt. maintenance dude.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

heating pool for the cost of parts:
    1 use a lineset made from about 2" ABS.
    have lineset come out of pool to a place that gets lots of sunshine like your house roof.
    create a coil system on the roof
    then run the other end of the lineset back down to the pool.
    the ABS will absorb the sunlight heat and pass that heat onto the water.

Best part is that once a good flow is established through the pipe,
    it will continuously flow with no assistance
    Tell Obama he can keep the change

.Now due to some reason the unit was kept OFF and when we went to the site and did the re-commissioning, the unit started but was not effective..
    how much time was the unit *off*?? a week? two weeks? a month or more? a year? When someone says "re-commissioning", to me that suggests the unit was off/down for a long time.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know ANYTHING about pool heaters---so Im GUESSING HERE:

I would suggest that you have a couple issues. 1) water flow issue, even with good water pressure, you may have crud built up in your heat exchanger from sitting. 2) you have a refrigerant leak and you need to find it before continuing.

or, call the manufacturer and see what they say?

either way your going to need outside help on this one

Have fun-good luck
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions