Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The inducer motor did die about 6 months before the exchanger cracked so it is somewhat new it might need the bearings oiled though.

That's only ONE of the many parts that fail because of high operating temperatures.

I'd rather spend the money on new parts that reside inside a new furnace. That will also have a new warranty.

Originally posted by jultzya
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Look out Jules, here comes Robo. You can't say POS and Goodman in the same thread
    Well, yeah I said it...

But he can't take all three of us!

Yes... I said 3, you repeated it!
    I don't have to take anyone. You idiots have no idea what you are talking about since you are referring to a tubular heat exchanger as a GMP, which never had a tubular heat exchanger.

However, whether it is a GMP or a GMT it would be well worth it to replace the heat exchanger since the reason for its premature failure has already been noted as being an installation issue.

It is unfair to condemn all GMPs because of the ones that failed due to overheating issues. Granted, they should have been able to better handle some of the overheating problems, but there are still hundreds of thousands GMP furnaces in operation that have never had an issue.

[Edited by RoBoTeq on 10-09-2005 at 09:08 PM]
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

That a boy ROBO!!!!!
    you said it.I have installed a lot of 80's & 90's
    and never had a bad heat exchanger.
    like mentioned before, the equiptment is only as good as the instellation. Good tradesmen.

I would bet that unit is a GMP and he THINKS that he has a tubular heat exchanger. But anyway...

I do have something for you to think about. How many units do you think get replaced without Goodman knowing anything about their problems?

I know of a guy that simply pulls them out and junks them while they are still under warranty and installs a new one of his choice.

How many other contractors do you think could be doing this same thing?

Just some thoughts.

Ok Robo, you MUST be a Goodman / Janitrol dealer. Fair enough. Defend those piles of crap. . . . at your customers' peril.
    Live for yourself and ask no one to live for you.

Originally posted by xe1000
    Twilli, it says in your profile your self employed. I hope you dont price all your jobs like you would the heat exchanger ("takes about 1-hr.) hell Ive been replacing some of these x-changers in attics in one complex it takes me 1/2 hr. just to unload and load my tools back in truck, another 1-hr. to go back to supply house pick up new exchanger and do warranty, and argue with counter guy it wasnt bought here so theres a charge. I also change ignitor, clean flame sensor, burners, blower area etc. talk to homeowner, give them the rest of the warranty left, and a 2-year labor warranty, oh ya, also new chimney kit (cause old one is usually corroded, then my own paperwork, around this neck of the woods companies are getting just about 4-figures for a x-changer maybee a little less, its not all about how fast you can do something my friend its about doing it right, you say 1-hr. on here a h.o. heres this and now if they have it done thinks he got ripped off when a guy has 4-hrs. down on invioce, 1hr. just travel to and from supply house, just venting here, alot of guys in this area starting out lowballing everyone, hell if a guy prices his jobs like you said 1-hr. or so, I can see why!

Actually we charge four figures as well, so what? I answered the guys post regarding installing it in a gargage.

I don't care how long a repair takes we flat rate it.

We also rebuild the furnace.

We are not lowballers my family has been in the HVAC business for over fifty years.

At sometime in the future call and phone shop us and you'll find out our prices are not low.

I'll chalk up you chewing my ass to your inexprience.

Thanks, I also post my credintials.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

hey twilly how you doing
    i still would not waist the time or mony on this unit
    it was taking from on house and put in a garage and i would think even good man would have a problem with regaurd warrenty

twill, do you service 30 minutes north of Detroit?

this one or very similar

this picture is from http://johnmills.net/hvacshots/pages/gmpheatex.html the red ring in the picture is talking about crimp ring failures on the early models

Utoh, that's not a tubular heat exchanger RoBo!

Can I get a public apology for the pain and suffering you cause me?

LMAO

No I don't go north of DEEEEEEEEEtroit actually we don't even go as far north as Monroe. Toledo metro area. Toledo is right on the Michigan line. We jump across the border to the suburbs.

Man we have been crazy busy. We did a recent mail campaign and it has been really effective. Plus the cold weather has helped.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12