Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Would it be worth it to replace the 3 tube heat exchanger on an 80% goodman furnace so I can use it in a a garage or something. It is not currently installed in any house I was just using it as a blower in my shed. The exchanger cracked because the hack who installed it in my aunt's house only cut the return air opening in the furnace cabinet to half of the recomended size both vertically and horizontally (which if I remember right the cfm capacity of an opening is to the square of the size meaning that her furnace was only getting 1/4th of the airflow it was rated for) . I will get pictures of the exchanger and the sheet metal I removed to get the opening in the cabinet to specs and post them in the wall of shame when I get the chance.

That GMP belongs in the scrap yard!

I wouldn't waste any money on that "GMP" POS!

About 10 years ago I worked for a guy who installed Goodman / Janitrol stuff. He had lots of install work. . .due to price.
    He also had to pay me, as a tech, to do TONS of warranty work. I have seen plenty of heat exchanger problems with goodman stuff.
    I'd scrap it.
    Live for yourself and ask no one to live for you.

Look out Jules, here comes Robo. You can't say POS and Goodman in the same thread

now you did it....

he's gonna have the lights on and the siren blaring.

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

gmp pos come on what you talk heheheheh
    scrape it and start over. it is like the lenox G24 just not worth the hassle

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Look out Jules, here comes Robo. You can't say POS and Goodman in the same thread
    I think even Robo will tell you that the GMP furnaces have a poor track record.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Well, yeah I said it...

But he can't take all three of us!

Yes... I said 3, you repeated it!

so the general concensus is to scrap it. looks like I will have 2 goodman blowers then, a 1/3 horsepower and 1/2 horsepower.

Why not you can get a heat exchanger for free and it only takes about an hour to install it. Would be great for a garage. Or Goodman will give you a new furnace under the replacement program for a few hundred bucks.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

so what are the odds of it cracking again now that it has proper airflow?

The odds are the new HE will last if its operating with-in the manufactures specifications.

The problem is;

How many OTHER parts have been ABUSED by operating at a high temp?

For how long?

When are they going to fail to cost you YET more MONEY?

Twilli, it says in your profile your self employed. I hope you dont price all your jobs like you would the heat exchanger ("takes about 1-hr.) hell Ive been replacing some of these x-changers in attics in one complex it takes me 1/2 hr. just to unload and load my tools back in truck, another 1-hr. to go back to supply house pick up new exchanger and do warranty, and argue with counter guy it wasnt bought here so theres a charge. I also change ignitor, clean flame sensor, burners, blower area etc. talk to homeowner, give them the rest of the warranty left, and a 2-year labor warranty, oh ya, also new chimney kit (cause old one is usually corroded, then my own paperwork, around this neck of the woods companies are getting just about 4-figures for a x-changer maybee a little less, its not all about how fast you can do something my friend its about doing it right, you say 1-hr. on here a h.o. heres this and now if they have it done thinks he got ripped off when a guy has 4-hrs. down on invioce, 1hr. just travel to and from supply house, just venting here, alot of guys in this area starting out lowballing everyone, hell if a guy prices his jobs like you said 1-hr. or so, I can see why!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast