Question

After some research and lots of help from the people in this site, I believe I have made a decision to go with one of the contractors from whom I got bids.

In any event, I have a couple of minor questions. As I stated in my previous posts, I live in Tucson, Arizona, and the winters are mild, summers are hot, and the rest of the year is pretty pleasant for the most part. I don't plan to live here more than 3 yrs, maybe 4 at the most. So, here are my questions:

1. One of the contractors mentioned something about coating the ducts on the roof with white reflective paint, in order to improve their efficiency or insulation (something to that effect). As proof he said that w/o the paint, in Arizona weather you would burn yourself, whereas with it you could touch the duct freely. To be frank, this sounds specious to me. Is there any truth to this?

2. I am debating between a 12 SEER A/S (YCX) and a 14 SEER A/S (YCY). As I understand it, the second has a variable speed blower and two stage furnace, which makes it work better. However, the price difference is significant. Is it worth it for just 3 yrs? I am gone, mostly from 7 am to 4 pm, so...

3. Last, I currently have a swamp cooler, and I have found mixed opinions as to whether I should keep it (with the AC) or do away with it. What do you think?

Again, I thank you for any help you can provide. And I apologize for the long-winded posts - it's a habit of my profession. It's always harder to be concise, but clear, than to be verbose and diffuse.

First of all, common sense tells me that reflective paint may have some impact.
    Second, I'd go with the lower SEER, given your short stay.
    Thirdly, I'd lose the swamp cooler. Why humidify your place with the bacteria dispursion system and then de-humidify it with your a/c?
    Live for yourself and ask no one to live for you.

Thanks for the advice; I think I will get rid of the swamp cooler (avoid water leaks and the rest of the stuff that comes with it).
    By the way Inturmoil, I lived in Seattle for a little bit (Magnolia). If and when I am done with school, Seattle will be one of the places that I would love to move to (no bullfights, but well, you can't have everything). Thank you again.