Thread: Heating and Air Advice

Post Likes
    what size unit do we need to cool 1800 sq. ft.? We currently have a 2 1/2 ton gas pack but it is only vented to cool and heat the downstairs. we are wondering can we expand the ductwork upstairs, so that we don't have to freeze/sweat when we are upstairs. we are working on a very tight budget and would like to do this as inexpensively as possible and still have it work reasonably well.

Post Likes
    You really need a contractor to come to house to determine if the old unit can handle the entire house.

You got a 50 50 chance.

Post Likes
    The frist reponse is correct, We Cannot answer that question for you! You need to have a qualified contractor to come to your house and figure out the heat load. You didnt provide a fraction of the information we would need to even give you a half-assed guess. Just remember you get what you pay for...I see this all the time. Homeowners do not want to spend any money on the most important part of their house. How can you put a price on comfort? I see homeowners spending more money on their computer than on their heating and air system. They have four computers, big screen tv, two SUV's, etc....but when it comes to the heating and air, they are on a tight budget. I dont mean to pick on you, and you may really be on a tight budget, I dont know....it just really bugs me to see people cutting corners on something so important.

Dave in NJ

Post Likes
    Originally posted by winnfamily6
    what size unit do we need to cool 1800 sq. ft.? We currently have a 2 1/2 ton gas pack but it is only vented to cool and heat the downstairs. we are wondering can we expand the ductwork upstairs, so that we don't have to freeze/sweat when we are upstairs. we are working on a very tight budget and would like to do this as inexpensively as possible and still have it work reasonably well.
    If you can alternate the use of the upstairs and downstairs between day and night, except for a bathroom, you might be able to use a new ductwork installation Zoning System, with your existing 2.5-ton condensing unit system.

http://www.ewccontrols.com/ultrazone/duct_sizing.htm

That would be a way to get the full use of the existing A/C equipment. You will need fully adequate "Return Air Ducting" in each room that you zone. You would not have to do a total switch, but rather, do a rather high percentage switch between the areas you will be using during certain times of the day.

http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...g_systems.html

Post Likes

Post Likes

Heating and Air advice

Thank you for your replies and I do understand that it is important and that it definitely looks like we need to have someone come and at least give us an estimate on what we need done. Just to assure you we are on a tight budget as a single income homeschooling family with three kids in college and no big screen tv or SUV. Hopefully with our kids in college they will just be able to pay for what needs to be done versus trying to do it yourself

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in