Ah, the joy of them. Seems I am back to working on a few of these gems and I need a little refresher.

Not exactly the answer I was looking for. One should not assume so much when they know so little about a particular situation.

Yes I would like to see all the old gravities gone as well as anything over 20 years old or newer if neglected but I live and work in the real world. Think I will post in the other place as I need some advice from fellow techs.

[Edited by MikeJ on 10-24-2005 at 02:34 AM]

Sell em a new one, what the hell you doin playin with a piece of crap like that for? Gravity furnace??

Always thought that a gravity furnace was an elegant engineering solution - no pumps, no fans, just hot air moving up and cold air moving down.

But all those different-sized ducts, makes the furnace look like an giant octopus sqeezed into the basement...

KJ

i want to see a gravity in person!!!

Gravity heat is alot more even heat then forced.

We still work on them on a regular basis.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    Sell em a new one, what the hell you doin playin with a piece of crap like that for? Gravity furnace??
    Been there;

I moved the thread over to the pro forum to get some better answers. I deleted most of the original thread here.

Not too cool followed me over there and again thought I ought to replace the old thing. Not mine to change out, nor my decision to do it, nor do I do installs. Only service for the last 10 yrs or so. Been in the burbs for the past few years where you rarely even see dust on the furnaces and clogged filters are rare. Ah! the inner-city.

2hot2coolme, do you even know what kind of controls are on a gravity furnace, a montcrief, or older A.S. boiler? If you do, ok, but if not, why even bother to reply? Out of necessity, I was looking for a little knowledge about the wrong tstat put in by someone else who knows when. It wasn't this season, I know that and I want to put in a powerpile tstat. Was just curious as to why it works or doesn't work with a t87. Maybe it stopped working because the p.pile is getting weaker, I am unsure of that.

Powerpiles last for a year or so on a regular stat, then get weak.

Some handymen don't know the difference between it and a thermocouple, so we find that alot.

I like when I go out and see a new L4064 fan limit(just using the limit) on a no heat call, they never set the limit down, and it sucks out the pilot. ( I like easy calls ).
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i would think any battery or snap tstat would work with the millivolt system

not so. I am just wondering why.